Como dizer “Casado, solteiro ou tico-tico no fubá” em inglês

Zumstein 1 31 435
Ex.: E você... é casado, solteiro ou “tico-tico no fubá”?

Relação tico-tico no fubá – relação sem compromisso no namoro, ou sentimental.

APRESENTAÇÃO PESSOAL EM INGLÊS
Nesta aula, a professora Camila Oliveira ensina como você deve se preparar para fazer uma apresentação pessoal profissional em inglês. O conteúdo dessa aula ajudará você a aproveitar melhor as oportunidades no ambiente corporativo. ACESSAR AULA
4 respostas
Ordenar por: Data
Simon Vasconcelos 11 221
Are you married, single or do you like to philander?
Thomas 7 62 296
MERRIAM-WEBSTER
philander
: to make love frivolously or in a trifling or fickle way : DALLY, FLIRT <belles and beaux philandered in the big hotels -- Van Wyck Brooks> <his penchant for philandering with pretty stenographers finally drove his wife to sue for divorce>

"To philander" is a rather strong word.

I can't think of a good equivalent for "tico-tico no fubá". In fact, I don't know when such a question would be asked. It's very personal and many would find it offensive. On Facebook you find "complicated". That may be a good choice. It's vague, not personal, and can be interpreted in many ways. A better way to ask this question is "What is your marital status?" Possible answers include: married, single, divorced, widowed, "living together", and common-law. ("Common-law" is not recognized in all states.)
Thomas, what if I ask "Are you married, engaged or just dating?"
Thomas 7 62 296
No problem, Rudy. Your question would not be seen as rude or insensitive.

I asked a Nicaraguan about the question. She also believed that the question would not be asked in her culture. I am aware that Brazilian culture is somewhat "aberta", but the use of an expression like "tico-tico no fubá" would seem very offensive here in Central America, and it certainly would be in the USA as well.