Como dizer "dona de casa" em inglês

Tradução de pequenas expressões ou palavras do Português para o Inglês.

Mensagempor Rafa » 06 Abr 2010, 21:22

como se diz "dona de casa " em inglês?
Rafa

Re: Como dizer "dona de casa" em inglês

Mensagempor Alessandro » 07 Abr 2010, 10:20

Dona de casa em inglês é "housewife". Lembra do seriado "Desperate Housewives"? Donas de casa desesperadas.

Welcome to EE.
Coordenador do English Experts
Recomendações aos novos Membros
Alessandro
2 5 47
1870 (2230)
Reputação

Mensagempor Henry Cunha » 07 Abr 2010, 18:55

Along with housewives we now have househusbands. The growing contingent of jobless men were the quickest to accept the term.
Henry Cunha
2 14 168
9105 (5773)
Reputação

Mensagempor maryziller » 08 Abr 2010, 01:11

You can also say 'homemaker.'
maryziller
Native Speaker
115 (755)
Reputação

Mensagempor Henry Cunha » 08 Abr 2010, 02:54

And we also have "the at-home partner" -- that is, the one who manages the household (particularly when there are chidren involved) while the other works. Keep in mind that the term "housewife" can have a negative connotation for many people who therefore would not like to be referred to as such.
Henry Cunha
2 14 168
9105 (5773)
Reputação

Mensagempor Tiago Tafari Catelam » 08 Abr 2010, 10:05

How about "Domestic engineer" ? I saw it here (at 1:13):

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VgRd7BnBnBA&feature=player_embedded#[/youtube]

I don't really know, however, if that's something polite to say. Could anybody tell us that?

Hope this helps and TIA ;)
"If I could make everyone in the world see one film, I'd make them see Earthlings" - Peter Singer

"I pay the schoolmaster, but it's the schoolboys that educate my son." - Ralph Waldo Emerson
Tiago Tafari Catelam
50 (460)
Reputação

Mensagempor Gabi » 08 Abr 2010, 12:16

I guess she was just making fun of it.
Gabi
1 5
365 (991)
Reputação

Mensagempor Tiago Tafari Catelam » 08 Abr 2010, 12:52

Gabi escreveu:I guess she was just making fun of it.

I thought that as well, but I've heard that expression so many times that I've begun to wonder if it would be something similar to "flight attendant" and "stewardess", you know what I mean? (Today, the term "Flight attendant" is considered to be more polite than "stewardess")
"If I could make everyone in the world see one film, I'd make them see Earthlings" - Peter Singer

"I pay the schoolmaster, but it's the schoolboys that educate my son." - Ralph Waldo Emerson
Tiago Tafari Catelam
50 (460)
Reputação

Mensagempor Gabi » 08 Abr 2010, 13:36

Well, we can find "stewardess" in the dictionary but not "domestic engineer". It sounds to me more like an american word, by the way.
I think that she's just kidding , perhaps it's a way to mean that she as a housewife is suppoused to work as a machine.(so unffair).
Gabi
1 5
365 (991)
Reputação

Mensagempor quandt » 13 Abr 2010, 00:13

homemaker.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homemaker
quandt

Voltar para Como eu digo isso em inglês?

• TÓPICOS RELACIONADOS