Como dizer "no meio do mato" em inglês

Tradução de pequenas expressões ou palavras do Português para o Inglês.

Mensagempor TheBigSpire » 21 Fev 2014, 18:05

Henry Cunha escreveu:You could characterize it as "dense bush":

There's some (really) dense bush next to my house. It's really thick vegetation, like a forest with thick undergrowth.

Would brushwood be a good synonym for dense bush or are they different things?
TheBigSpire
1 1 11
475 (270)
Reputação

Re: Como dizer "no meio do mato" em inglês

Mensagempor Henry Cunha » 21 Fev 2014, 18:36

I've never heard "brushwood", but you've just reminded me that "brush" also means "a dense growth of bushes", so you can say

There's a lot of brush next to my house.

And the dictionary tells me "brushwood" is probably used more to mean wood cut from the brush or from bushes.
Votos neste post: 1
Henry Cunha
2 14 172
9325 (5802)
Reputação

Mensagempor Thomas » 22 Fev 2014, 03:00

Americans understand BUSH as "arbusto". In British English it can also be "matigal".

For "no meio do mato" I suggest:

way to hell and gone
out in the tules (tules are reeds that grow along bodies of water)
out in the sticks
in the armpit of the world
out in the boonies/boondocks
("bondok" in Tagalog means a place far from towns, the hills, the jungles - this term clearly came in to use during WWII)
Thomas/USA
Thomas
Native Speaker
2 16 130
7070 (4343)
Reputação

Mensagempor jlmmelo » 22 Fev 2014, 13:37

What about "dense thicket" to say ´matagal´ :?:

- The walk to school was nearly 3 miles, along a road lined on one side by a dense thicket and on the other by tall pines. The Virginian-Pilot

- ... in the Alligator River National Wildlife Refuge, not far from Hank and Betty's pen, releasing just four pairs of wolves into the dense thicket. News & Observer

- These cassava (mandioca) plants will grow into a dense thicket of hard, bamboo-like shoots within a year, with roots so massive a single planted hectare can provide three tons of food. timesunion.com
We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children. Haida Indian Saying
jlmmelo
2 9
415 (638)
Reputação

Mensagempor Thomas » 22 Fev 2014, 16:09

Anita, you can say "there is a thicket next to my house", but it would be more common to hear "there is brush next to my house" or "there are bushes next to my house".

In the US, "bush" is a plant, an "arbusto". In British English it can also mean a wild, uncivilized area, possibly a forest, jungle or desert. The Brits talk of "bushcraft" but an American would say "woodcraft". The Australian talks of "bush tucker", but an American speaks of "wild edible plants and animals".
Thomas/USA
Thomas
Native Speaker
2 16 130
7070 (4343)
Reputação

Mensagempor Thomas » 22 Fev 2014, 16:14

Other ways to say no meio do mato include:

...way to hell and gone. -1
...out in the sticks. -2
...out in the tules. -3
...in the armpit of the world. - 4

1= on the other side of hell
2 = possibly "sticks" refers to thickets
3 = tules are reed-like plants that thrive near bodies of water
4 = sometimes another part of the body is used in preference to "armpit". use your imagination.

I believe Australians use "back of Burke" to refer to somewhere that God has forgotten.
Thomas/USA
Thomas
Native Speaker
2 16 130
7070 (4343)
Reputação

Mensagempor Lady A » 23 Fev 2014, 20:38

We tend to use (British English) the phrase 'out in the sticks' which means in the middle of nowhere.
Lady A
20 (5)
Reputação

Anterior

Voltar para Como eu digo isso em inglês?

• TÓPICOS RELACIONADOS