Correct My English Post As An Exercise, by Bill Slayman

I will be making posts here from time to time, and they will contain errors in construction, grammar, and spelling.
You can see how many mistakes you can find and write a correction, then in a few days I will post what I should have written in the first place. In some cases I may post excerpts from our local American newspaper which is not known for it's high standard of editing and grammar. :lol:

Yesterday is my birthday. I am sixty-seven year old and I am really fealing my ages ... I will be fealing anceint. :cry:

Have fun, laugh at my errors and see how close you can come to my "correct" version, by the way it is not the only correct version. If you have any questions please let me know either here or by one of the means shown in my signature.

P.S. Remember that I like concise, complex sentences. ;)

MELHORE SUA PRONÚNCIA EM INGLÊS
Nesta aula, o professor Adir Ferreira, autor do livro "A Chave do Aprendizado da Língua Inglesa", nos conta como se tornou um Expert em pronúncia e dá várias dicas para você se comunicar melhor em inglês. ACESSAR AULA
7 respostas
Ordenar por: Data
Marcio_Farias 1 24 214
Bill, first of all, Happy Birthday to you! Hope you'll spend many ears alive.

On the correction of your posts I won't say much. But you wrote fealing when you meant feeling. You also wrote it's when you meant its. Yet I would categorize such errors as performance errors, errors only a native speaker of English would make. (By "performance errors," I mean errors a regular native speaker of English casually or naturally makes in either writing or conversation. The faster a speakers talks, the likelier s/he will commit errors.) So I guess.
Marcio,

DUHHHH, what did you say? :lol: :lol:

Tchau meu amigo
Marcio_Farias 1 24 214
Bill, I failed to refer to all of your purposefully inserted errors for which I apologize.

Here then goes another attempt at correction.

I turned 67 years old yesterday. I really am feeling my age and becoming ancient.

Don't DUHHHH me again. Instead, tell me where I failed. ;)
Marcio,

I thought that you were joking with me and I was definately returning the joke with the DUHHHH, I intended no offense and I who owe you the appology. :oops:

Your second post is EXCELLENT, and as you will see in a few days not the only correct version.
Marcio_Farias 1 24 214
Hey Bill, no harsh feelings. I'd rather treat you respectfully. :) And look up to you as a friend.

Cheers! :)
APRESENTAÇÃO PESSOAL EM INGLÊS
Nesta aula, a professora Camila Oliveira ensina como você deve se preparar para fazer uma apresentação pessoal profissional em inglês. O conteúdo dessa aula ajudará você a aproveitar melhor as oportunidades no ambiente corporativo. ACESSAR AULA
w.slayman escreveu:I will be making posts here from time to time, and they will contain errors in construction, grammar, and spelling.
You can see how many mistakes you can find and write a correction, then in a few days I will post what I should have written in the first place. In some cases I may post excerpts from our local American newspaper which is not known for it's high standard of editing and grammar. :lol:

Yesterday is my birthday. I am sixty-seven year old and I am really fealing my ages ... I will be fealing anceint. :cry:

Have fun, laugh at my errors and see how close you can come to my "correct" version, by the way it is not the only correct version. If you have any questions please let me know either here or by one of the means shown in my signature.

P.S. Remember that I like concise, complex sentences. ;)
The post as originally written, and before I butchered it:

Yesterday was my sixty seventh birthday, and I am really feeling my age. I feel ancient. :cry:

Please note the changes in construction and spelling. ;)
Ravenna 3
Hello Bill,
Yesterday was my sixty seventh birthday, and I am really feeling my age. I feel ancient.
Why don't you try writing this phrase in Portuguese?

I'm sure it will be very interesting to read :D

The words you'll need...

Yesterday: ontem
Sixty seventh: sétimo sexto
It was: foi
My: meu
I am: eu estou
Ancient: velho
Birthday: aniversário
Feeling: sentindo
My age: minha idade
I feel: eu (me) sinto