Demand, Recommend, Insist and Suggest: Combinações possíveis

Hello guys

Lately, I've seen a site on the internet saying that the verbs "To demand", "to suggest", "to insist" and "to recommend" had a different pattern. The combination is:

noun/pronoun + Verb to demand/insist/... (+ that) + noun (subject pronoun) + verb in infinitive form without to

Examples:

I demand (that) she take a painkiller.

His friends insist (that) he call her.

I thought it'd sound strange if I used the subject pronouns "He", "She" and "It" without adding an "S" to the verbs performed by them in the present.

Does this combination really exist?

CENTENAS DE EXPRESSÕES DO INGLÊS
Preparamos um plano de estudos para ajudar você a dominar centenas de palavras e expressões do inglês em tempo recorde. EXPERIMENTE AGORA
7 respostas
Ordenar por: Data
dlr 1
I don't think it is the indicative form but actually the subjunctive, but either way it doesn't sound strange to me. You should know that there are many Americans that make blatant mistakes that most people don't care about. For example, something I hear often is "I seen some guy driving a new car" instead of "I saw"... or the very common "should of" instead of "should have"
Morning!

That way the verb cannot be used. If it says the infinitive form, it should be the verb w/ to...

However, the sentence

I demand (that) she take a painkiller is not correct...

Maybe you could use the passive voice...

She was demanded to take a painkiller... It means that people demanded her TO take a painkiller...

Does it make sense to you??
Donay Mendonça 23 127 1.7k
Theu,

Complementando,

Sim,estas combinações existem sim,e estão corretas.Veja uma boa explicação em:

==>Pergunta:

Hello Anne!

I know that the two sentences below are the examples of using (or: "of the usage" which is correct?) the subjunctive form.

1. It is important she attend the meeting.
2. It is recommended that he take a gallon of water with him if he wants to hike to the bottom of the Grand Canyon.

I only do not understand why we don't write: ....she attends the meeting. (Why do we omit "s"?)
Second sentence:...that he takes......
Is there a simple explanation to that, Anne?

Thank you

==>Resposta:

Answer
Hi Luke,

The following English grammar rules explain why "s"is not used for the subjunctive mood. The sentences you used are in the subjunctive form. Here are the rules:

For all verbs except to be, the present subjunctive mood is most often made by omitting the characteristic "s" ending on verbs with third-person singular subjects. Thus, whereas in the indicative mood we would write "man leaves," in the subjunctive mood we would omit the s on the verb leave: "The judge insisted that the man not leave town." For the verb to be, we simply use be for all present tense subjunctive mood verbs and were for all past tense forms, regardless of whether the subject is singular or plural.

The Columbia Guide to Standard American English (New York: MJF Books, 1993) points out that while many subjunctive-mood phrases are commonly used in ordinary speech--"if I were you," "if need be," "far be it from me," and so on--strict use of the subjunctive mood is rare, even in the most formal speaking and writing situations (243). Very few people would write, for example, "If he arrive on time, we will have dinner before the show." However, if a form of the verb to be were used in that sentence, all polished writers would agree that the subjunctive is necessary: "If he were [not was] to arrive on time, we could have dinner before the show."

The Harbrace College Handbook (13th edition) lists other common, fixed expressions that are stated in the subjunctive mood: "so be it," "be that as it may," "as it were," and "God bless you" (99-100).

Hope this helps, Luke.
http://en.allexperts.com/q/General-Writ ... e-form.htm

Bons estudos!
dlr 1
muito interessante donay.. até eu aprendi alguma coisa!
Deixe-me ver se entendi:

Quando colocamos um verbo no subjuntivo, devemos retirar o "s" dos verbos que seguem a 3ª pessoa do sing.
e quando temos o verbo to be, devemos usar apenas o "be".

sendo assim, devemos substituir o verbo auxiliar "can" por "be able to" quando o colocarmos no subjuntivo.

Na língua inglesa, o subjuntivo é aplicado de forma diferente do português, pois não colocamos o verbo assim quando estamos usando o verbo "to hope", a preposição "before" e alguns outros...:

I hope my father gets promoted.
We have to clean up the house before my mother arrives.

Minha conclusão está correta?
MELHORE SUA PRONÚNCIA EM INGLÊS
Nesta aula, o professor Adir Ferreira, autor do livro "A Chave do Aprendizado da Língua Inglesa", nos conta como se tornou um Expert em pronúncia e dá várias dicas para você se comunicar melhor em inglês. ACESSAR AULA
Donay Mendonça 23 127 1.7k
Theu,

Pelo que li,você entendeu corretamente.

Boa sorte!
Thanks Teacher Donay and DLR for explaining this to me...

I have to confess that even my teacher couldn't answer this question right... LGHs