Expressões Usadas na Igreja em Inglês

Hey folks!

Today I'll share with you the most common expressions and phrases that you'll probably hear at the church. I went to an Anglican Church School, so it's easy to teach and learn expressions what we can use to religious goals.

All the people are welcome here, I don't have any problem with religions. Just sharing my experience in english language with the church experience! :D

Example 1: "When you walked to the church, you just heard the bells ringing and a woman with a gown will say to you: Good evening, tonight we'll have an evensong service".

* Stop, stop.... What's an evensong? An Evensong in the Episcopal Church or the Catholic Church in U.S. sometimes, is a service who the people who do this are choristers, presided by a priest or a vicar. This is not a mass, is a service to sing psalms and prayers at the evening. Usually the churches do this at 6P.M. with a good organ song and after this a tea or a little coffe, before the faithfull leave the church to go home.

Example 2: "You share your room with a roommate, He has a special position in the church, named Dean."

* Dean comes from Deanery, used from a person who take care about the church and the official things what the church needs and wants. But the Dean need to be a college member to take the deanery's degree. He's not an oficial clergyman sometimes, just a man who have a accord with a community church.

Example 3: "Today Marie and I will go to have a tea service at the church community center".

* A tea service, usually is a party or an event who the people drink tea and solve problems about the church council. Generally the event occurs at the Tea Room or Church Saloon, both in the community center of the church property. It's very common in the U.K. mainly in Devon and Cornwall.

Example 4: "John, can you lend your BCP for me?".

* A BCP is the abbreviation of Book of Common Prayer, a prayer book of the Church of England. In other churches, can be know as Book of Common Service, Worship Book, Common Worship, etc. It's very common in the North America. When you arrive the church and look at the back of the benches you can see books with red covers. They're not Bibles usually. Just the BCP.

Example 5: "He's the mainly lector of the worship".

* Lector as the same thing of Reader in the church vocabulary. A person who read the Bible or the "Lectionary" (derived from this name), a book what have the readings of the sundays and weeks services.

Example 6: "They'll sing the Old 100th in the graduation service!".

* The Old 100th is a musical nickname to the Psalm 100. The nickname is a short name to the original name of the psalm: All People That on Earth Do Dwell.

Example 7: "Did you got your Choir Dress?"

* Imagine that you're a reader or a chorister. You need to use the choir dress, like the society formal clothes, the choir dress is your signature in the church with the clothes. In the U.S. the choir dress is named to Choir Gown to the choristers and Vestments to the priests.

I hope to help all you with this issue! :mrgreen:
P.S. If you know a different expression, say below! I'll be happy to learn and share others!

ENTENDENDO AS HORAS EM INGLÊS
Nesta aula, a professora Camila Oliveira ensina vários macetes para você nunca mais se confundir na hora de dizer as horas em inglês. ACESSAR AULA
4 respostas
Ordenar por: Data
PPAULO 6 49 1.3k
Just sharing my experience with the English language with the church experience! :D

Example 1: "When you walked (when you go/when you are going... Perhaps?) to the church, you just heard the bells ringing and a woman with a gown will say to you: Good evening, tonight we'll have an evensong service".

Is a service in which people who perform as choristers, presided by a priest or a vicar.
This is not a Mass, is a service to sing Psalms and prayers at the evening.
They're not usually Bibles, just the BCP.

Thanks for sharing.
Thanks for the review, friend. I don't know why I put english with a big uper case E. :|
I put "Mass" and "Psalm" with M and P because Mass comes from the Holy Mass, and Psalm from the Book of Psalms!
If you look into a Missal, you can see these words with this letters in uper case!

Thank you for the review! :mrgreen:
You're always welcome to do a review in my posts!
PPAULO 6 49 1.3k
You are welcome. And count on me for some slight proofreading, for basic things like that.
And thanks for your approving reaction.
Thank for sharing your knowledge buddy! ;)