Gerund or Infinitive: Uso em frases

Hey folks! I just finished an English online test, but I didn't understood one of my mistakes.
It was the following question:
"The sentences below are incorrect. Which of the following is a corrected form of the sentence?"
I am looking forward meeting you.

And there were three alternatives:
"I am looking forward to meet you."
"I am looking forward meets you."
"I am looking forward to meeting you."

I chose the first one, but the correct is the third one. I thought if I have "to" so the following verb must be an infinitive. Even if the translation is "...para encontrar você", why does meet is in the gerund form?
__
Thanks advanced.

ENTENDENDO AS HORAS EM INGLÊS
Nesta aula, a professora Camila Oliveira ensina vários macetes para você nunca mais se confundir na hora de dizer as horas em inglês. ACESSAR AULA
10 respostas
Ordenar por: Data
Flavia.lm 1 10 100
"... I didn't understand" - vc já havia negado com o auxiliar ;)

O 'to' nessa construção é uma preposição, por isso a necessidade de gerúndio.

Tem explicação mais detalhada no seguinte link: i-m-looking-forward-to-seeing-you-t10568.html
Donay Mendonça 23 127 1.7k
Gabi,

Só para adiantar, existem verbos e expressões que pedem o verbo seguinte com ING, mesmo que tenha "to".

"I am looking forward to meeting you."

Some residents were opposed to naming [contra dar nome ] the high school after Martin Luther King.(Macmillan)

Bons estudos!
Flavia, muito obrigada por me corrigir, nem tinha reparado que havia escrito errado^^
Obrigada pela explicação também, Donay.
Então essa é mais uma daquelas situações que acostuma-se com o tempo. Obrigada aos dois.
Henry Cunha 3 18 190
Considere "looking" como um desses verbos que se emprega num sentido de realidade física, ou num sentido figurado:

Realidade física:
I am looking up to see the stars.
I'm looking down to see the ground.
I'm looking backward to reverse my car safely.
I'm looking forward to see what's ahead.
("I'm looking forward to meet you" only works in a real sense, meaning "my eyes and head are turned forward so that I will meet you" -- a possibility, but an odd thing to say just the same...)

Figurado (expectativa):
I'm looking forward to meeting you = I'm envisioning a pleasant event.
I'm looking forward to meeting the goals we have set. = I expect to succeed.
Etc.

I don't know if that helps.
Of course it helps Henry, thank you very much, I loved the explanation, easy and different way to undertand^^
Thanks for your collaboration.
ENTENDENDO AS HORAS EM INGLÊS
Nesta aula, a professora Camila Oliveira ensina vários macetes para você nunca mais se confundir na hora de dizer as horas em inglês. ACESSAR AULA
"I heard somebody knock the door". I saw this sentence and I was not sure if it was in the write form because I thought it would be "I heard somebody knocking the door". What is the right one and why?
Henry Cunha 3 18 190
filasfermon escreveu:"I heard somebody knock the door". I saw this sentence and I was not sure if it was in the write form because I thought it would be "I heard somebody knocking the door". What is the right one and why?
A expressão idiomática é "knock on the door" ou "knocking on the door. (Bater na porta, como um visitante.)

Frequentemente, "on the door" não é necessário. "I heard somebody knock(ing)" já diz tudo. Sabemos que se trata de alguém a bater na entrada do domicílio.

Ambas expressões: "I heard somebody knock" e "I heard somebody knocking" são corretas e praticamente indistinguiveis. "Knocking" poderia plausivelmente sugerir uma ação ainda ocorrendo (ou mais persistente), e "knock" algo que já passou (ou foi breve), mas é uma distinção mínima.

Então, algumas sugestões de uso:
"Knock", desacompanhado de preposição, usa-se para indicar "bater na porta": "He knocked, and an old man answered the door."
"Knock on" significa bater em algo: "From knocking on the tree trunk he could tell it was old and hollow."
"Knock down" significa "derrubar": "The fighter was knocked down."
"Knock over" significa "tombar": "He knocked over the flower pot."
Thanks, Henry!! It was a very good explanation!!
Henry Cunha 3 18 190
E se a casa tem mais de uma porta?

I heard someone knock(ing) at (on) the front door.
There's someone knock(ing) at (on) the back door.

A separação ocorre assim:

A. I heard someone knocking!
B. Where?
A. At the front door.
Henry Cunha 3 18 190
filasfermon escreveu:Thanks, Henry!! It was a very good explanation!!
It was a pleasure, and you're more than welcome!