Should X Ought to: Regras de uso

Jerry Dorien 4 48
should X ought to (pretérito Verbo dever).

Esses dois verbos são frequentemente usados para expressar sugestões. Eu gostaria de saber se tem alguma regra de uso ou se posso usar qualquer um na mesma frase?

abraços.

INGLÊS PARA VIAGENS
A professora Marcela Miranda, mais conhecida como a Tia do Inglês, ensina nesta aula introdutória o vocabulário básico de inglês para viagens. Está se preparando para sua próxima viagem? A sua jornada começa aqui! ACESSAR AULA
7 respostas
Ordenar por: Data
Donay Mendonça 23 127 1.7k
Olá Jerry,

De acordo com o Longman você pode usá-los como sinônimos.

Veja alguns exemplos:

1)You ought to help one another=You should help one another.(Vocês deveriam se ajudar.)

2)We ought to make a decision=We should make a decision.(A gente deveria tomar uma decisão.)

3)They ought to be here by now=They should be here by now.(Eles deveriam estar aqui a esta altura.)

Obs:Devemos ficar atentos ao "to".

Best wishes! ;)
Ought to is a phrasal modal verb
Should is a modal verb

ought = should

She ought to buy some new clothes. (= She should buy…)
Do you think I ought to apply for that job? (= I should apply…)

bye
Marcio_Farias 1 24 214
You can use ought to advise people (including ourselves) to:
  • do things;
  • tell people that they have a duty to do things;
  • ask about our duty
You ought to help Tuca put the boxes away. He can't move all those heavy boxes by himself.
(You should take it upon yourself to help...)

Alberto ought to pay his outstanding debts. Caco, Negobom and Numídio have paid theirs.
(Alberto should feel under obligation to...)

You can use OUGHT and SHOULD often interchangeably to imply the compulsion of obligation. While OUGHT more commonly suggests duty or moral constraint, SHOULD applies more to the obligation of fitness, propriety, or expediency.

We ought to fulfill our obligations.
Small enough, the stopper ought to fit in the bottle.
We should not try to evade responsibilities.
The car should arrive at noon.
If we run, we should make the five o'clock train.
Should Alberto, Caco, Negobom and Numídio help Tuca move the boxes? Yes, they ought to. (= If they have a heart, they shouldn't let Tuca do all the irksome, heavy work.)
Henry Cunha 3 18 190
Very nicely done, Márcio. The usage distinctions are pretty subtle.
Marcio_Farias 1 24 214
Henry, thank you for what I regard as a compliment coming from someone that I consider an educated gentleman.
ENTENDENDO AS HORAS EM INGLÊS
Nesta aula, a professora Camila Oliveira ensina vários macetes para você nunca mais se confundir na hora de dizer as horas em inglês. ACESSAR AULA
ernando 2
Is it always necessary to use "to" combined with ought? Is it just a way to use ought, or there aren't any situation in which I could use just the word "ought" instead of "ought to"?

Please, correct my wrongs, thanks in advance.
Donay Mendonça 23 127 1.7k
Ernando,

Você deve usar "ought to". É possível(apesar de não me parecer comum) o uso de "ought" sem "to", como diz o Macmillan no exemplo a seguir:

''I don't practise as often as I ought.''