Simple past x present perfect: Qual utilizar?

No meu livro, tem um exercício assim:

G - rewrite the sentences in the SIMPLE PAST TENSE

1 - the car crashes into the lamp post and kills a cat

2 - somebody calls the police

3 - my father never agrees with me

4 - the local community complains when the factory closes

5 - the slaves in colonial brazil develop a martial art called capoeira

6 - my sister cries every time i stop talking to her

Mas o SIMPLE PAST TENSE (aquele sem o have) não é aquele que só é usado quando há uma especificação de tempo?
Ou existe alguma condição extra? :cry:

Me ajudem, tô confusa
Xoxo

TESTE DE NÍVEL
Faça um teste de inglês e descubra seu nível em 10 minutos! Este teste foi desenvolvido por professores experientes. O resultado sai na hora e com gabarito. Você ainda ganha o eBook sobre o Verbo Get em seu e-mail. INICIAR TESTE
4 respostas
Ordenar por: Data
Donay Mendonça 23 127 1.7k
Você pode usar o "simple past tense" sem mencionar o tempo. Isto acontece quando o tempo fica subentendido no diálogo.

John: What happened to Lisa? She's so sad. [O que aconteceu com a Lisa? Ela está tão triste.]
Mike: Kevin broke up with her. [O Kevin terminou com ela.]
John: But I saw them kissing each other this morning... [Mas eu vi eles se beijando hoje de manhã...]

Obervação: Neste diálogo, na frase "Kevin broke up with her", não há especificação de tempo, porém, "John" e "Mike" tem uma noção deste tempo, basta observar pelo contexto do diálogo.

Bem-vinda ao fórum!
Post muito útil com comentários feitos por falantes nativos do idioma (Wordreference - USA / UK), sobre o uso do passado simples e expressões de tempo (indicando quando).
In English, as in Portuguese, it is not necessary to say exactly when the past event occurred in order for the past tense to be appropriate.
Keep in mind that in some instances, you're simply not saying everything that you're supposed to say.

It may also be that the time is implied or known in your head, but is not specifically mentioned.

"I forgot my pencil," most likely means, "I forgot my pencil in the house this morning." So in effect, you have a time in mind and the other person knows what you mean, so it's still simple past but used in an informal and concise manner.

"I had to kill her," is most likely a conversation in which the time that you committed the crime has already been expressed, so therefore, you don't have to keep saying, "Last night, I had to kill her."

So again, the absence of the time in each proclamation doesn't mean that you're no longer using the simple past.

If you say, "I have forgotten my pencil," without any specified time, then you're in the present perfect, because of the construction of that sentence and the context. So in this case, you most likely mean that it happened before at some unspecified time in the past.
Ou seja, se o contexto de alguma forma disser quando, não é preciso usar expressões de tempo - dizendo quando - como "yesterday", "last week", "ten years ago", etc.

Bons estudos.
Curiosidade sobre o present perfect:

Apesar do 'present perfect' não dizer exatamente quando algo ocorreu - o tempo não é definido por expressões indicando passado, como "last month", "yesterday", "two weeks ago", etc., é possível o uso de "when?", "when did you do it?" ou "when did that happen?", depois de uma afirmação com o 'present perfect'.

Pergunta:
First, I've searched W.R for a post that could answer this question, but didn't find it. So, my question: is it natural/appropriate to ask a question with "when?" after a statement in the present perfect? Please take a look at the example I made.

John: I've broken my leg.
Mary: When?
John: Last week.

Thank you in advance!
Comentários (respostas) do Wordreference(UK):

One wouldn't say naturally 'I have broken my leg last week', but, if someone was to say to you 'I have broken my leg', then 'When?' could be an entirely natural and appropriate shortened version of 'When did you do that?'

It's the kind of thing which one hears all the time in everyday conversation.
It's in my view a little bit unnaturally abrupt there just to ask "When?" :(

But if you were to expand it to "When did you do that? Or "When did that happen?", it would make a pefectly idiomatic conversation.
Resumindo: o uso do present perfect não descarta a possibilidade de se querer saber quando algo aconteceu. Ou seja, quem usa o present perfect, não menciona exatamente quando, mas, quem houve, pode querer saber quando foi que aconteceu.
Agradeço a todos vocês pela resposta. Estava com essa dúvida sobre o simple past, pois não sabia se o nome do seriado "How I met your mother" tinha a gramática correta!