Como dizer "Tapar o sol com a peneira" em inglês

Donay Mendonça 23 127 1.7k
Olá Pessoal,

Como é que se fala "Tapar o sol com a peneira" em inglês?: to sugar-coat

--> Tentar esconder ou disfarçar os reais fatos, que são desagradáveis, negativos etc.
--> Querer esconder o que todos estão vendo.

- There's no way of sugar-coating it—the report predicts a grim future for the industry.(Oxford)
- Não há como tapar o sol com a peneira--o relatório faz previsão de um futuro sinistro para a indústria.

- I'm not trying to sugar coat things here -- because there are certainly parts of our country that resemble a Third World nation. [The Washingtonpost]
- Eu não estou tentando tapar o sol com a peneira aqui, já que certamente existem partes do nosso país que são semelhantes a uma nação de terceiro mundo.

Definição de "sugar-coat": to make (something difficult or distasteful) appear more pleasant or acceptable. [Thefreedictionary]

Bons estudos!

POWER QUESTIONS
O professor das celebridades Daniel Bonatti ensina várias técnicas para você ter conversas melhores mesmo com conhecimentos básicos de inglês. Com as power questions você vai aprender a direcionar a conversa para onde quiser e com isso alcançar seus objetivos na comunicação. ACESSAR AULA
5 respostas
Ordenar por: Data
Marcio_Farias 1 24 214
Just an addition to donay's post.

(querer) tapar o sol com a peneira (fig.)
to try to hide what everyone already knows, attempt to cover up the obvious.

[Addapted from A Dictionary of Informal Brazilian Portuguese]
Henry Cunha 3 18 190
Which maybe explains why sunscreens aren`t that useful against solar radiation...
felipeh6 7 58
Hello!

I have a question. Is it possible to use the expression to bury our heads in the sand for tapar o sol com a peneira?

Thanks in advance.
Breckenfeld 3 15 131
My suggestion:

To carry water in a sieve.

Bye!
PPAULO 6 49 1.3k
Yes, Felipe. One can use that expression as an equivalent as well, context-wise, of course.

=======
In addition, to the repertoire given, I will offer my two cent´s worth.

To live in (a state of) denial.

(Source: Wikipedia.)
...is used for a psychological defense mechanism postulated by Sigmund Freud, in which a person is faced with a fact that is too uncomfortable to accept and rejects it instead, insisting that it is not true despite what may be overwhelming evidence.[2][3]

The subject may use:
simple denial: deny the reality of the unpleasant fact altogether
minimisation: admit the fact but deny its seriousness (a combination of denial and rationalization)
projection: admit both the fact and seriousness but deny responsibility by blaming somebody or something else.
The concept of denial is particularly important to the study of addiction. The theory of denial was first researched seriously by Anna Freud. She classified denial as a mechanism of the immature mind, because it conflicts with the ability to learn from and cope with reality. Where denial occurs in mature minds, it is most often associated with death, dying and rape.