Como dizer "O feitiço vira contra o feitiçeiro" em inglês

JacksonB 3
"O feitiço vira contra o feitiçeiro" , 2 bons resultados para essa pesquisa no EE.

O feitiço virou contra o feiticeiro. - It backfired. >>> principais-expressoes-otimo-t120.html

"... a person cuts off his nose to spite his face..." = "O feitiço pode virar contra o feiticeiro >>> expressoes-com-nose-and-ear-t8468.html

Mas encontrei essa, que, na minha opinião, se adequa melhor para muitas ocasiões.

Em "Friends - The One Where Everyone Finds Out" (sitcom)

Chandler: Ahh yes, the messers become the messies!

e se você ler no contexto, ou assistir, perceberá que tem exatamente o efeito desejado. > Script do episódio http://www.friendscafe.org/scripts/s5/514.php

Espero ter ajudado com um bom complemento.

See ya

ENTENDENDO AS HORAS EM INGLÊS
Nesta aula, a professora Camila Oliveira ensina vários macetes para você nunca mais se confundir na hora de dizer as horas em inglês. ACESSAR AULA
10 respostas
Ordenar por: Data
Alessandro 3 13 98
Jackson,

Ajudou sim. Ótima dica!
Thomas 7 62 296
In the USA another expression is that something "comes back and bites someone on the butt."

The boss required all employees to pass a safety test. He took it and failed. His new requirement came back and bit him on the butt.

The professor locked the doors to keep late students from coming into his class. He forgot that his teaching assistant had gone to the office, however, and had the class roster with him. The whole thing came back and bit the professor on the butt.

---
Another possibility is "to get a dose of one's own medicine."

The boss required all employees to pass a safety test. He took it and failed. He got a dose of his own medicine.

The professor locked the doors to keep late students from coming into his class. He forgot that his teaching assistant had gone to the office, however, and had the class roster with him. He got a dose of his own medicine.
dlr 1
maybe in very specific situations(?): the hunter becomes the hunted
Marcio_Farias 1 24 214
Thomas, you've written, "The professor locked the doors to keep late students from coming into his class."

Could the forum users also write, "The professor locked out late students" with no further context?

Thank you for reading this.
JacksonB 3
Funny and amazing expressions, Thomas.
"To get a dose of one's own medicine" could also be translated as "Experimentar do próprio veneno." I guess...
Thank ya!
-------------------------------
Good one dlr, although we say that in Portuguese as it is, i think :P , like " Quando o caçador vira a caça." or even "Quando a caça vira o caçador." , but i think there's no problem to use it the way you want..
-------------------------------
I think it fits well the way you said, Marcio_Farias.

Thank you guys.
TESTE DE VOCABULÁRIO
Faça um teste e descubra como está seus conhecimentos de vocabulário de inglês em 5 minutos! Este teste foi desenvolvido por professores experientes. O resultado sai na hora e com gabarito. INICIAR TESTE
Thomas 7 62 296
Everyone is giving great "dicas" today. :)

Márcio, your "locked out" is correct and concise. You already know this, but others may be interested to know that it's common to hear "I've locked myself out" when someone has locked a door, leaving his keys inside a car, house, etc. A "lockout" is when an employer does not permit employees to enter his business. It's the almost exact opposite of a strike.
Daniel.S 1 2 11
Hi there!

he was caught in his own web
felipeh6 7 58
Hello!

I guess the same options can be used for "o tiro saiu pela culatra", can't they?

Regards.
Marcio_Farias 1 24 214
"O tiro saiu pela culatra" significa mais "it backfired".
felipeh6 7 58
Hello,

Another suggestion:

- He was caught in his own trap.

Regards.