Como dizer "Uma coisa é uma coisa, outra coisa..." em inglês

Simon Vasconcelos 11 221
Uma coisa é uma coisa, outra coisa é outra coisa.

-Devagar! Não é bem assim. Uma coisa é uma coisa, outra coisa é outra coisa.

COMO COMBINAR PALAVRAS EM INGLÊS
Nesta aula, o professor Denilso de Lima, autor do livro "Combinando Palavras em Inglês", ensina como as collocations (combinações de palavras) podem ajudar você a falar inglês com mais naturalidade. ACESSAR AULA
15 respostas
Ordenar por: Data
Donay Mendonça 23 127 1.7k
Dica:

One thing has nothing to do with the other.
Telma Regina 9 65 608
"One thing is one thing, another is another".
"One thing is one thing, another thing is another thing".
Henry Cunha 3 18 190
Slow down. It's not quite that way. This is this, and that is that.
Thomas 7 62 296
You are talking apples and oranges.
(You are talking about two very different things.)
Telma Regina escreveu:"One thing is one thing, another is another".
Perdão, Telma, mas me parece que você fez uma tradução literal que não leva em conta as expressões idiomáticas de cada idioma.
Se eu estiver errada, por favor, pode indicar onde viu essa expressão tal como escreveu?
:)
AMPLIANDO O VOCABULÁRIO
Isa Mara Lando é uma referência entre os profissionais de tradução. Ela já traduziu mais de 100 livros, entre eles estão obras de autores aclamados, como: George Orwell, Salman Rushdie e Walter Isaacson (a biografia de Einstein). Nesta aula gratuita, Isa dá várias dicas de vocabulário. ACESSAR AULA
Telma Regina 9 65 608
Anabiareis, is anything wrong with my translation, as I just asked a native this, and he understood, but your reasoning is confusing him now. I think you understood it as well just the way I expressed it. There are other ways of saying this "expression", dear, as suggested by Donay, Henry, Thomas. The Forum is open for any suggestions on this topic.
I'm sorry if I have upset you in any way, Telma. I was pointing out that some expressions should not be literally translated. I didn't say it would be incomprehensible, but that it is not an equivalent and might sound strange to a native's ear.
I only meant to bring that to your and the o.p.'s attention. I have in no way intended yo be rude to you, and I am sorry if it seemed so. However, I do think you misunderstood my reply. And you have not answered my question. The fact that a native could understand what you meant does not make it sound natural or even usual.
But anyway, I rest my case. Have it your way, dear.
Andrezzatkm 2 8 111
Telma Regina escreveu:"One thing is one thing, another is another".
I am wondering it too.
Is that way English speakers say it?
Telma Regina 9 65 608
Primeiramente vamos ver a definição de "expressão idiomática" de acordo com o site "Brasil Escola":

"Conceituam-se como expressões idiomáticas aquelas que, perante os estudos linguísticos, são destituídas de tradução. Pode considerar-se que fazem parte daquilo que chamamos de variações da língua, uma vez que retratam traços culturais de uma determinada região. Dotadas de um evidente grau de informalismo são geradas por meio das gírias e tendem a se perpetuar ao longo de toda uma geração".

A sentença "Uma coisa é uma coisa, outra coisa é outra coisa" não é uma "expressão idiomática", sendo assim pode ser traduzida literalmente sem alteração no seu significado.

http://m.brasilescola.com/portugues/exp ... aticas.htm
Andrezzatkm 2 8 111
I still don't know if English speaker say it.
:(
AMPLIANDO O VOCABULÁRIO
Isa Mara Lando é uma referência entre os profissionais de tradução. Ela já traduziu mais de 100 livros, entre eles estão obras de autores aclamados, como: George Orwell, Salman Rushdie e Walter Isaacson (a biografia de Einstein). Nesta aula gratuita, Isa dá várias dicas de vocabulário. ACESSAR AULA
As a native speaker, I agree with Telma:

"One thing is one thing, another is another".

Any doubts get on a plane and test on arrival in London or just go to a British pub in Sampa or Rio.....
PPAULO 6 49 1.3k
Andrezza, life is very short, and if you are a newbie like me, stick Donay and Thomas answers, with time you will learn wich one to use.
Actually, none of these seems grammarly incorrect or something, there are some that are more, say, common. On the grounds of frequency.
Let´s move on, English is a rich language with a wide range of subjects to cover.
And there´s a saying that goes "a little innacuracy saves a lot of explanation", a case in point is that we use a GPS with 4-out-24 sattelites, so sometimes innacurate ? yep. But reliable overall.
Vi essa expressão num rpg de video game that is that, this is this e desconfio que o significado seja uma coisa é uma coisa, outra coisa é outra coisa. O que vocês acham?
PPAULO 6 49 1.3k
And there is the old "this is a different can of worms" that can be used in some contexts.

Another roundabout way to express that is by: this time is different [plus]...(the rationale to what you are talking about) the rules no longer applies to that. [replace THAT by the actual subject you are referring to]
Swarmfire 2 19
Júnior Viegas Fink escreveu:Vi essa expressão num rpg de video game that is that, this is this e desconfio que o significado seja uma coisa é uma coisa, outra coisa é outra coisa. O que vocês acham?
Parece ser sim, aliás dificilmente consigo pensar em outra expressão. Mas como não se pode cansar de repetir "mais contexto ajuda". Espero ter ajudado em meio a grandes nomes