Acknowledge x Recognize: What's the difference?

Hello everybody!

Well, I need to know when I use Acknowledge and when I need to use Recognize.

CENTENAS DE EXPRESSÕES DO INGLÊS
Preparamos um plano de estudos para ajudar você a dominar centenas de palavras e expressões do inglês em tempo recorde. EXPERIMENTE AGORA
3 respostas
Ordenar por: Data
  Resposta mais votada
Hi Nicole,

I will try to answer your question (I'm a humble student rs). I research on Internet about your question and I find some information about this.

First, these words are etymologically identical, only one of Germanic root and the other of Latin root.

About the word recognize, It can have two different meanings:

The first is when you recognize something because you have seen it before, as in "I recognized the house as soon as I saw it again." In this case, only "recognize" can be used.

The second is in the sense of giving recognition, and in some way accepting its value. For example, one university may recognize that the qualifications of another university are equivalent to their own; employers recognize certain trades unions but not others; or I may recognize certain suppliers of a service but not others.

If this second meaning of recognize applies to a person, such as recognizing their skill, knowledge or eminence, then the word acknowledge can also be used.

I hope that this can help you.
APRESENTAÇÃO PESSOAL EM INGLÊS
Nesta aula, a professora Camila Oliveira ensina como você deve se preparar para fazer uma apresentação pessoal profissional em inglês. O conteúdo dessa aula ajudará você a aproveitar melhor as oportunidades no ambiente corporativo. ACESSAR AULA
Thank you for your help!
Cintia, exactly! It applies to what you've said.

> Recognize means to something you saw before. Like:
# Hey, I recognize this house! I've been here some weeks ago.

> Acknowledge means to recognize its value or admit its existence. Like:
# Messi is a huge soccer player! I acknowldege his incredible skills!

Regards!