Como dizer "mandioquinha" em inglês

Queremos fazer uma sopa de mandioquinha, porém encontramos a palavra "manioc" que não é a mesma coisa.

Obrigada.

COMO COMBINAR PALAVRAS EM INGLÊS
Nesta aula, o professor Denilso de Lima, autor do livro "Combinando Palavras em Inglês", ensina como as collocations (combinações de palavras) podem ajudar você a falar inglês com mais naturalidade. ACESSAR AULA
13 respostas
Ordenar por: Data
  Resposta mais votada
1 1 19
No way the word for mandioquinha is parsnip, Eric. You might want to have another look at a dictionary or google images :P I've eaten parsnip and mandioquinha and they are not the same. I've even bought it in England and guess what, when I asked at the market they said ''yeah that is mandioquinha the Brazilian vegetable'.
it's not because people won't possibly know what you are talking about (and they don't even have to) that a word or expression is not right. There are loan words in any language, specially for things that are not common in the society you live in.
ENTENDENDO AS HORAS EM INGLÊS
Nesta aula, a professora Camila Oliveira ensina vários macetes para você nunca mais se confundir na hora de dizer as horas em inglês. ACESSAR AULA
9 65 608
Parsnip

Parsnip soup - sopa de mandioquinha
1 1 19
Olá gente,

Parsnip em português é pastinaca ou pastinaga em português de Portugal, mas eu acho que pode ser chamada por outros nomes também.
Apesar de ser parecida com a mandioquinha, ela é uma outra raíz e o gosto é diferente, meio adocicado.
A mandioquinha em inglês pode ser chamada de mandioquinha mesmo, como um estrangeirismo, ou arracacha, outro estrangeirismo.
11 221
Mandioquinha também é conhecida como batata baroa.
6 14 102
A mandioquinha (ou batata baroa) é um tubérculo comestível de nome científico Arracacia xanthorriza, muito utilizado na culinária brasileira. A Wikipedia em língua inglesa lista esta raiz como arracacha.

Link para o artigo na Wikipedia: en.wikipedia

Cheers!
TESTE DE NÍVEL
Faça um teste de inglês e descubra seu nível em 10 minutos! Este teste foi desenvolvido por professores experientes. O resultado sai na hora e com gabarito. INICIAR TESTE
6 49 1.3k
In Rio "mandioquinha/batata baroa" it's the Peruvian parsnip. (not to be confused with common parsnip. So the arracacia (or still, parsnip/is arracacha, apio criollo, arrecate, mandioquinha, batata baroa and the peruvian parsnip, if you wish.)

Ref. books.google.com

On pg 54

Ref. kitcheninbrazil.wordpress
"...the arracacia varieties are native to the Andes. They were believed to be cultivated by the Incas, and are currently grown in Peru, Bolivia, Columbia, Venezuela, Ecuador and Brazil."

Thus, when you guys are going to do the cooking, take heed of the variations.
In language, just parsnip would be understood, I think.

In Rio people call "mandioquinha" or "batata baroa".
The word is parsnip, no variation, Please try going to a market in Great Britain or any other English speaking nation in this world, and they would say "I don´t understand" (if you are lucky) at any of the variations said it this post. If the only veg you like is parsnip, you will come back home starving. The same thing happens the other way around, try going to a Brasilian market and asking for parnips in English. Good Luck, travel, and send you results to the group on a postcard.
6 49 1.3k
Interesting information, Gabi. Indeed I didn´t know the loan word stuff, I mean, about the Brazilian vegetable. Glad to know that bit.

Ah, my Internet had gone south, don´t know why, I missed the EE so much! :D
It's fingerling potato
1 24 214
Como dizer "mandioquinha" em inglês?
TESTE DE NÍVEL
Faça um teste de inglês e descubra seu nível em 10 minutos! Este teste foi desenvolvido por professores experientes. O resultado sai na hora e com gabarito. INICIAR TESTE
1 6 92
Arracacha, white carrot.

A lot more to learn at:

English/portuguese glossary about vegetables(no google) on the footnote:

Fruit Glossary
Traveling Glossary
Agriculture Glossary
Human Resources Glossary
Finances & Accounting Glossary
Glossary of ESL Abbreviations and Acronyms
O nome científico da mandioquinha é Arracacia xanthorrhiza. It is sometimes called white carrot in English, but that name properly belongs to white varieties of the common carrot.
The leaves are similar to parsley, and vary from dark green to purple. The roots resemble fat short carrots, with lustrous off-white skin. The interior may be white, yellow, or purple.
Ref. en.wikipedia
Nos EUA, sempre vi como white carrot, tanto em hortifruti quanto em restaurante.