Exercício: Question Tag - Qual utilizar?

13) Marque a alternativa correta:

The Titanic, the indestructible ship, sank in 1912,_________?

a)didn't she
b)didn't it
c)hadn't it
d)hadn't she
e)doesn't it

resposta: A

obs.: não seria a letra B, já que o sujeito é o navio.

INGLÊS PARA VIAGENS
A professora Marcela Miranda, mais conhecida como a Tia do Inglês, ensina nesta aula introdutória o vocabulário básico de inglês para viagens. Está se preparando para sua próxima viagem? A sua jornada começa aqui! ACESSAR AULA
6 respostas
Ordenar por: Data
  Resposta mais votada
9 65 608
Take a look at these American websites about the USS Iowa:

"July 9 USS Iowa completed her post shakedown overhaul."
"August 27 En Route to Newfoundland and the North Atlantic for her first war patrol."
Ref. ussiowa

"During World War II, she carried President Franklin D. Roosevelt across the Atlantic to Mers El Kébir, Algeria..."
Ref. en.wikipedia

"The USS Iowa (BB-61) was the lead ship of the massive and powerful Iowa-class battleships of World War 2. She was followed by sister ships USS New Jersey (BB-62), USS Missouri (BB-63) and USS Wisconsin (BB-64)."
Ref. militaryfactory
TESTE DE NÍVEL
Faça um teste de inglês e descubra seu nível em 10 minutos! Este teste foi desenvolvido por professores experientes. O resultado sai na hora e com gabarito. Você ainda ganha o eBook sobre o Verbo Get em seu e-mail. INICIAR TESTE
9 65 608
A alternativa correta é a "A" mesmo. Titanic é um substantivo feminino. Todos os navios e barcos são substantivos femininos em inglês.
Leia esse tópico para entender um pouco mais sobre esse assunto:

em-que-situacao-o-she-fica-no-lugar-de- ... 32674.html
3 18 190
Actually, there is absolutely no consensus about referring to ships in the feminine. For instance, only "it" and "its" is employed in this newspaper report:

"Robert Kent stands with Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa on the eleventh level atop the USS Iowa as it makes its final journey down San Pedro’s Main Channel. On shore, thousands of cheering spectators line Harbor Blvd. for a view of the ship’s arrival; it’s a proud day for the community that rallied together for a piece of military history. The WWII era battleship is finally making its home at Berth 87 in the Port of Los Angeles, where it will open as a museum ship this month."

http://www.sanpedrotoday.com/2012/06/28 ... s-angeles/
3 18 190
All I'm saying is that neither is wrong. For instance, this British newspaper refers to the Queen Elizabeth II as "it", and I can't think of a more feminine name for a ship.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/moslive ... lands.html

But my main point is that an English exercise for non-natives shouldn't get into this sort of thing, and I think we're probably agreed on that.
9 65 608
Headline: "When the Queen went to war: Amazing pictures on QE2 as it sailed to the Falklands"

I agree with you Henry, but the word "it" is used in the headline of your URL in order to clarify who is going to The Falklands, the Queen or the ship.
It is one of the exceptions and has to be learned. I have seen it in some comprehension exercises. In fact, many non-native English speakers are more likely to understand the use of male and female references than native speakers due to the construction of their own languages, for example, Spanish, Portuguese, French, Italian.
Ship as a feminin noun is a tradition and, of course, many people don't know or, maybe, don't follow it.
APRESENTAÇÃO PESSOAL EM INGLÊS
Nesta aula, a professora Camila Oliveira ensina como você deve se preparar para fazer uma apresentação pessoal profissional em inglês. O conteúdo dessa aula ajudará você a aproveitar melhor as oportunidades no ambiente corporativo. ACESSAR AULA
3 18 190
This may help throw some light on the subject: http://www.glossophilia.org/?p=1411