Correção de texto: Corporate Social Responsibility (2)

3 10 50
Corporate Social Responsibility

I strongly believe that companies have a social responsibility, however, this kind of business strategy is quite uncommon in my country. I mean, companies used to giving back to my community, but are they giving enough? I don't think so, and in my opinion, the community is responsible, at least in part, for that situation. We should avoid buying goods from companies that aren't sponsoring social programs. That is an excellent way to push them to deploy humanitarian actions in benefit of our society. Recently a local company started offering professional courses for free in my community. A great opportunity for the youths, especially because the company has promised to hire the better students at the end of the course. That is a good example, but again I ask to myself, is it enough? The company is getting a free advertisement and hiring qualified staff, on the other hand the youths are getting their first job. It's a win-win situation, but to me on that game, we don't have a tie, it seems that the company has scored more goals than suffered.

INGLÊS PARA VIAGENS
A professora Marcela Miranda, mais conhecida como a Tia do Inglês, ensina nesta aula introdutória o vocabulário básico de inglês para viagens. Está se preparando para sua próxima viagem? A sua jornada começa aqui! ACESSAR AULA
4 respostas
Ordenar por: Data
  Resposta mais votada
6 49 1.3k
I strongly believe that companies have a social responsibility; however, this kind of business strategy is quite uncommon in my country.

"however" no meu entender, aqui nesse exemplo, é um "conjunctive adverb." (um dos que unem orações independentes e expressam relações entre elas.) Agindo como ''transitional word", e estabelecendo uma relação de contraste entre as mesmas.
Advérbios e expressões tais como:
after all, besides, therefore,
furthermore, in addition, likewise, then, still, as a result,
nevertheless, however, in other words, on the contrary, on the other hand, etc etc...

I mean, companies used to give ing back to my community, but are they giving enough?
'"used to give back", in my point of view.

------------------
That is an excellent way to push them to deploy humanitarian actions in benefit of our society.
That is an excellent way to push them to deploy humanitarian actions in benefit of society.
[the former isn´t wrong, but in essays/papers it´s advisable to make statements in a general way, rather than in a personal one, as much as possible. It´s up to you to keep or change it, though.]

------------------
A great opportunity for the youth, especially because the company has promised to hire the better students at the end of the course.

*youth - os jovens, mas como um todo, em geral. Uma classe, assim com "the rich" -os ricos, "the dead" - os mortos etc.

====================================

That is a good example, but again I ask to myself, is it enough? The company is getting a free advertisement and hiring qualified staff. On the other hand, the youth are getting their first job.

The youth "are", em inglês "youth" é um coletivo, sempre requer verbo sem "s".

Contudo, só pra reforçar um tópico gramatical aqui, um verbo poderia ser com "s" após "youth" dependendo do que se quer dizer. Exemplo: The youth of the world is the answer to this question. (os jovens do mundo é a resposta da questão...)
The youth of the world is the answer to this question.

Já "The youth of the world are the answer to this question., ficaria estranho. Para dar certo, teria que mudar para :
The youth of the world "are" the answers to this question.

E, finalmente, se pode ainda dizer "youths" (no plural e tudo) no sentido de "jovens", cada um de um certo total (digamos três jovens, por exemplo):

Three Holy Youths - Saint George Greek Orthodox Cathedral
http://www.stgeorgegreenville.org/.../Three%20Holy%20...
Three Youths Nebudchadnezzar was a King whose empire capture Jerusalem in 587BC. He was so full of himself that he decided to build an image of himself in ...

Soldiers Shoot Three Youths To Death - Information Nigeria
http://www.informationng.com/.../soldie ... -three-you...
2 dias atrás - Gunmen suspected to be soldiers attached to the Special Taskforce on Security in Jos, Plateau State have reportedly killed three youths and...

===================================================
--------------------------------------------------------------
TESTE DE NÍVEL
Faça um teste de inglês e descubra seu nível em 10 minutos! Este teste foi desenvolvido por professores experientes. O resultado sai na hora e com gabarito. INICIAR TESTE
Complementando :
PPAULO escreveu:
I mean, companies used to give ing back to my community, but are they giving enough?
'"used to give back", in my point of view.
Depende do que vc quer dizer...
used to give back to my community, but were they giving enough?
= (costumavam)faziam , mas não fazem mais

Costumam fazer
companies usully give back to my community, but are they giving enough( acho que é esse o sentido que vc quer, estou certa?)

"Used to" espressa a idéia de que algo é um hábito antigo que já não ocorre mais. Indica algo que era frequentemente repetido no passado, mas que não é mais praticado.

http://www.englishpage.com/verbpage/usedto.html
That is a good example, but again I ask to myself, is it enough? The company is getting a free advertisement and hiring qualified staff; on the other hand, the youths are getting their first job. It's a win-win situation, but to me, on that game we don't have a tie, it seems that the company has scored more goals than suffered them.
3 10 50
Actually my intention was to say: They ARE used to giving back.

Thanks, I wouldn't have seen this mistake without your help.
6 49 1.3k
Glad that you refined it Henry. I myself had overlooked the verb there, good job! I am glad also for, somehow, having drawn your attention to it.
Thanks Lekatre, for your complementary observation, good teamwork indeed! ;)