Repetition Doesn’t Work: Better Ways to Train Your Memory

jlmmelo 14 106
A team of scientists recently discovered that repetition is a terrible way to memorize information—and their findings highlight much better strategies.

A new study published in Learning and Memory found that simple repetition interferes with the ability to learn new information, especially when it is similar to a set of familiar facts. This may mean that memorizing facts about an issue through repetition could interfere with the ability to remember a more nuanced version of the same issue later on. ...

Here are a few tips for better memory:

Pace your studying

The method of Loci

Connect the dots

Read all... The Daily Beast

ENTENDENDO AS HORAS EM INGLÊS
Nesta aula, a professora Camila Oliveira ensina vários macetes para você nunca mais se confundir na hora de dizer as horas em inglês. ACESSAR AULA
1 resposta
PPAULO 6 49 1.3k
Depends on the sense of "repetition".
If we rarely find a word or expression, chances are that our mind doesn´t register it as "important". Same to a subject that we don´t like/enjoy or we aren´t good at.
Whereas, some concepts may register as so important that it worth the trouble of memorizing (better word - learning it) at any cost.
For instance, inexperienced pilots flee from the bad weather, whereas the ones in-the-know will fly towards it (counter-intuitive as it may seem). It´s one information that a student pilot won´t forget (I hope so, for dear life...)

http://johnwlewis.wordpress.com/2009/04 ... intuitive/

I regard it as one piece of advice that will be repeated time and again, so it may be a repetition that "sticks" to one´s mind.
The same, unfortunately may not true to the passengers "seat-belt" and safety instructions, given at the beggining of a flight by the steward people.

So, there will be cases in wich repetition will be welcome (fire drills anyone?), depending of the perceived relevance of it by the learner.

========================
Of course, I understood what you meant (and what the study you brought to our knowledge), it is all about not using memorization per se. That is, by the words of an aviation site "We believe that learning is not just about memorizing facts. Its about knowing what questions to ask. Only by asking the right questions can you find the solution."

http://www.airsafe.com.au/

=========================================
That´s okay, I agree with it. I just tried to leave the newbie aware of the danger of generalisation.
Notice that "is not just... about", but it do involves memorization in some degree, at least in the very beggining of a learning process, most of the time.