Fans x Ventilators - What's the difference?

To sum it up: Are fans and ventilators the same thing?

I know that in medicine ventilators are respirators that people use to help them breathe. But ventilators also mean a device that makes air to circulate in a room, and in this very context, are they the same?

Thank you!

COMO COMBINAR PALAVRAS EM INGLÊS
Nesta aula, o professor Denilso de Lima, autor do livro "Combinando Palavras em Inglês", ensina como as collocations (combinações de palavras) podem ajudar você a falar inglês com mais naturalidade. ACESSAR AULA
8 respostas
Ordenar por: Data
  Resposta mais votada
24 105 397
Hi Junior,

No, they are not the same.

Outside a medical context, a "ventilator" is any device that draws stale air out of an enclosed space and allows fresh air to be introduced and circulated through it. A "fan" is typically a cooling device, and does not necessarily serve the purpose of renewing the air in an enclosed area - ceiling and table fans being common examples. They can, however, be used for removing air from a space, as is the case of exhaust fans.

I suspect you will be seeing the word "ventilator" used more often in its medical sense.

More at:

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/ventilator
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/fan
POWER QUESTIONS
O professor das celebridades Daniel Bonatti ensina várias técnicas para você ter conversas melhores mesmo com conhecimentos básicos de inglês. Com as power questions você vai aprender a direcionar a conversa para onde quiser e com isso alcançar seus objetivos na comunicação. ACESSAR AULA
3 13 98
Nunca vou me esquecer do que que eu estava conversando com um amiga americana via Skype e disse que ia desligar o "ventilator" :lol: . Ela ficou preocupada comigo e perguntou se eu estava bem, foi aí que descobri que o ventilador que usamos em casa para refrescar o ambiente é Fan e não Ventilator.

You live you learn!
6 49 1.3k
"Vent" many times have to do with the air being forced inside (mostly inside ourselves, helping with our respiration).
I mean, generally used in this sense, so a related word is "hiperventilate" (respiração "forçada", mas alguns dizem "falta de ar"; por que, ao que parece a respiração é tão forçada que se torna ineficiente).

So a ventilator is a device that assist with artificial respiration (it´s called mechanical ventilation); whereas a fan is a "ventilador" as we know in Portuguese.

=============
Yet, there is also the "mechanical ventilation" systems used in buildings to exhaust the air from the bottom to the outside space.

In this case, generally you see the air going out with the aid of vents (indeed you see the vent frame/cover) and feel the air flow.
Olá pessoal!
Apesar de correto o uso da palavra "fan" ao invés de "ventilator" para nos referirmos ao ventilador, muitos americanos usam ambas palavras para se referir a este equipamento. Eu ouço os americanos usarem "fan" e "ventilator" (ou vent), para se referir ao ventilador, o tempo topo. Creio que assim como ocorre com outras palavras, tempos verbais, regras gramaticais, etc, o mais importante é o contexto da conversa ou assunto. Com certeza se estiver quente e você perguntar para um americano se pode ligar o ventilador usando as palavras "fan" ou "ventilator", eles vão entender e ligar o equipamento. Lembrem-se: O mais importante é a comunicação ser feita. Todavia, quero deixar claro que não digo isso para estimular que falemos incorretamente. O ponto aqui é estimular à comunicação. Abraço.
6 49 1.3k
Point taken. Thanks for sharing your opinion with us. :P
ENTENDENDO AS HORAS EM INGLÊS
Nesta aula, a professora Camila Oliveira ensina vários macetes para você nunca mais se confundir na hora de dizer as horas em inglês. ACESSAR AULA
1 11 33
Juliana Rios escreveu:Hi Junior,

No, they are not the same.

Outside a medical context, a "ventilator" is any device that draws stale air out of an enclosed space and allows fresh air to be introduced and circulated through it. A "fan" is typically a cooling device, and does not necessarily serve the purpose of renewing the air in an enclosed area - ceiling and table fans being common examples. They can, however, be used for removing air from a space, as is the case of exhaust fans.

I suspect you will be seeing the word "ventilator" used more often in its medical sense.

More at:

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/ventilator
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/fan
According to this, I think we can assume that:

Ventilator = Exaustor
Fan = Ventilador

God bless the false cognates :lol:

___
edit:

O Google Translator dá como tradução para "exaustor": exhauster, exhauster fan.

Acredito que sejam sinônimos para "exaustor".

Em caso de discordâncias, favor manifestarem-se :)
6 49 1.3k
Agreed. It was I wanted to say in part b) from my answer.

Anyway, just like in Portuguese, one can think of it as an "ventilador" given some contexts. Let´s think of when we see a building with suchs ventilators we hear many people talk about it as "ventiladores".
They are obviously referring to the blades the sucks the air out, then they say "ventiladores" (in an informal way), referring to the whole set, frame and blades would be "exhaustor fan".
Here I am not technically speaking, just saying that perhaps in day-to-day conversation (more informal way), they may do as we do in Portuguese. ;)
24 105 397
Sugestão:

Exaustor = Exhaust fan

"Fan" is a fairly generic word. You will see it used in a number of different contexts.