"Needs" apesar do "s" no final, é uma forma singular?

Meu cérebro "aportuguesado" me faz crer que tudo o que vem com "s" no final é plural. Então comecei a pesquisar e surgiu a dúvida quando apareceram frases do tipo:
How can I fix my External Hard Drive that says it needs to be formatted?
Group assessment needs to be carefully planned and structured.
The product needs to be designed with such flexibility in mind...

Gostaria que algum "expert" confirmasse meu raciocínio. Porque pelo o que entendi é que sempre que "need" no sentido de precisa ser, necessita ser, etc; estiver se referindo a um "subject" "it" ou "third person form", e estando no singular, então o termo correto a empregar será sempre "needs" com s e não "need" como a lógica aportuguesada leva à crer(?)
(Dúvida 01)

Deste modo ao invés de escrever:"The car need to be white",ou, "The symbol need to be different from the contamination symbol". O correto seria usar o "s"
"The car needs to be white" and "The symbol needs to be different from the contamination symbol".(?)
(Dúvida 02)

Alguém pode me confirmar se isso está correto, e se isso ocorre com need antes de todos os verbos ou só com o verbo "to be"(?)
(Dúvida 03)

AMPLIANDO O VOCABULÁRIO
Isa Mara Lando é uma referência entre os profissionais de tradução. Ela já traduziu mais de 100 livros, entre eles estão obras de autores aclamados, como: George Orwell, Salman Rushdie e Walter Isaacson (a biografia de Einstein). Nesta aula gratuita, Isa dá várias dicas de vocabulário. ACESSAR AULA
6 respostas
Ordenar por: Data
  Resposta mais votada
4 19 70
Hello Oschneider.

Dúvida 1: Sim
Dúvida 2: Sim
Dúvida 3: Não, necessariamente.

Suas dúvidas são referentes ao uso correto da terceira pessoa do singular no tempo verbal Presente Simples (Simple present).

Sendo assim, em frases afirmativas somente na 3ª pessoa do singular (he, she, it) do Present Simple adiciona-se -s à base do verbo.

He works.
She likes.
It barks.

Contudo, quando a base do verbo termina em -o, -s, -sh, -ch, -x, -z adiciona-se -es:

go - goes
kiss - kisses
wash - washes
watch - watches
mix - mixes
buzz - buzzes

E, quando a base do verbo termina em consoante + -y, converte-se o -y em -i, e adiciona-se -es a seguir:

carry - carries
cry - cries
study - studies
photocopy - photocopies

Podemos ressaltar exceções como: Have - has

Para mais informações:
http://www.grammarnet.com/ghtml/spellps.htm
http://www.grammar.cl/Present/Verbs_Third_Person.htm

Execícios para prática:
http://www.englisch-hilfen.de/en/exerci ... sent_s.htm

That's it, man.
Take care! :)
POWER QUESTIONS
O professor das celebridades Daniel Bonatti ensina várias técnicas para você ter conversas melhores mesmo com conhecimentos básicos de inglês. Com as power questions você vai aprender a direcionar a conversa para onde quiser e com isso alcançar seus objetivos na comunicação. ACESSAR AULA
Hello, friend.

You're right!

Simple present, third person singular:

Note:
he, she, it: in the third person singular the verb always ends in -s:
he wants, she needs, he gives, she thinks.

Negative and question forms use DOES (=the third person of the auxiliary'DO') + the infinitive of the verb.
He wants. Does he want? He does not want.

Verbs ending in -y : the third person changes the -y to -ies:
fly flies, cry cries

Exception: if there is a vowel before the -y:
play plays, pray prays

Add -es to verbs ending in:-ss, -x, -sh, -ch:
he passes, she catches, he fixes, it pushes

Examples

1. Third person singular with s or -es

He goes to school every morning.
She understands English.
It mixes the sand and the water.
He tries very hard.
She enjoys playing the piano.

I hope it helps you!

See you around!
6 49 1.3k
Yes, as Marcos said.

It would be:
"The car needs to be white" and
"The symbol needs to be different from the contamination symbol".

As the conjugation in that verb tense in English goes like that...:
I need (eu)
You need (tu)
He/she/it needs (ele/ela)

We need (nós)
You (vós)
They (eles)

Well, grammatically speaking, that is there´s nothing wrong with the sentence "The car needs to be white".
But, to convey the idea in natural English and a matter of style (my style here) I would redo the wording. I would say:

The car has to be white.
The car should be white.
I need that car painted white.
The car paint work needs to be white.

That way, to me, may lead the reader to think about a car "necessity", it needs. Anyway, you can use the word for the time being, if you want to stick to the grammar point (of using the "s" or leaving it out). ;)

Thank you Artful for your tip. ;)
3 10 50
Uma observação, em todos os exemplos need aparece como um verbo, mas também pode ser um substantivo e neste caso pode ter sua forma no plural:

Take a look at this sentence:

You cannot understand my needs. Vc não pode entender minhas necessidades.
6 49 1.3k
That was because we stuck to the Oschneider´s initial point, he meant need while verb.
Anyway, your aside note is welcome, and the example accurate.
Thanks for sharing.
CURSO DE PRONÚNCIA
Domine todos os sons do inglês com o nosso novo curso de pronúncia. O professor Adir Ferreira, referência no ensino de pronúncia, criou este curso especialmente para o English Experts. INICIAR AGORA
3 18 190
As a special case, there is the subjunctive form where no s appears:

It need not be this way.
She need not have spoken so harshly about him.

We speak here of unfulfilled actions, wishes, hypotheticals.