Como dizer "Pecar pelo excesso do que pela falta" em inglês

Creio que todos devam saber o significado desta expressão, o que faz uma explicação prévia desnecessária.

Encontrei este link na comunidade como-dizer-pecar-por-excesso-ou-por-omi ... 36412.html que se relaciona com o tema mas não me satisfiz. Gostaria de saber dos senhores cavalheiros se há alguma expressão equivalente na língua inglesa.

Thanks y'all guys :D

POWER QUESTIONS
O professor das celebridades Daniel Bonatti ensina várias técnicas para você ter conversas melhores mesmo com conhecimentos básicos de inglês. Com as power questions você vai aprender a direcionar a conversa para onde quiser e com isso alcançar seus objetivos na comunicação. ACESSAR AULA
4 respostas
Ordenar por: Data
PPAULO 6 49 1.3k
I would say that "to err on the side of" would be a way to say that.

http://www.learnersdictionary.com/definition/err
http://idioms.thefreedictionary.com/err+on+the+side+of

------------------------------
This one would be very good, and could be "adjusted" to other situations:
But if we are to err, it is best that we err on the side of safety.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/err

For instance," for a student to err on the side of taking too much mock tests is better, rather than taking too little." (just an example here)

Obviously, you could say that in another way:

A student can´t take chances, especially before a final exam, too little preparation is worse than too much.

In this case, too much practice is not always enough!

And...

When it comes to studying before a final exam, a student dedication and effort in his studies, is never too much.

When it comes to studying before a final exam, one can´t take chances and overestimate himself.

====================
The whole point is:
a) The boldened sentence is the closest I found. Not the only one, though. Others may find something else and post here; and
b) There are other ways to say that, in that "sense". Not exactly using that words, but then, context-wise.

=======
I hope my answer has not been "too much of a good thing" (que eu tenha me excedido, pecando aqui por excesso de explicação...) :lol:
PPAULO 6 49 1.3k
By the way, as for the studying topic.
Those were just examples of mine. Since they fall, more or less, in the category of "too much or never enough?".
That is, it involves a lot of things, an example of that is that exam you took, you tried to cover all the topics and the subjects you studied just didn´t show up in the exam. Everyone (or almost) have a story like that to tell, partially or the whole of it.
Winnie 2 20
It's better to err on the side of caution.

Example:

Daughter: Mom, why are you preparing so much food? We are expecting 6 people and you are cooking for 20.
Mother: It's better to err on the side of caution.
Henry Cunha 3 18 190
This is a situation where both ends of the spectrum yield negative perceptions:

To be damned for overdoing instead of underdoing.

The point of the expression is to say that it is as bad to be incautious as overcautious; to be overzealous as opposed to lackadaisical; to overdo instead of underdo. There really isn't an English expression that I can think of.

There are instances where we turn a generally positive adjective into a negative one. So we say, for instance, that "he is generous to a fault." Now, generosity is usually considered a good quality, and stinginess its opposite bad quality. But excessive generosity is a fault. (You can't say "Stingy to a fault." "Stinginess" is already a negative trait.) There are many positive adjectives that fit in the expression "----- to a fault", or "---- in excess."

And you can turn some negatives "into a virtue": Would "He turned stinginess into a virtue" make sense to you?