Como dizer "dedo de prosa" em inglês

alexandre.santos 2 4 41
This is a brasilian redneck therm to say something like ' a little chat '.
De origem do povo que mora ou trabalha na roça, ou pessoas do interior.
Am I right to say ' a little chat '?
Is there an others options or a therm to say that in english?
I'd like to thank you if you exemplify it!

TESTE DE NÍVEL
Faça um teste de inglês e descubra seu nível em 10 minutos! Este teste foi desenvolvido por professores experientes. O resultado sai na hora e com gabarito. Você ainda ganha o eBook sobre o Verbo Get em seu e-mail. INICIAR TESTE
8 respostas
Ordenar por: Data
Henry Army 3 10 50
Small talk.
alexandre.santos 2 4 41
Thanks a lot, henry!
Let me try it.

Can we have a small talk?
PPAULO 6 49 1.3k
At first, chat can be both:
Just talk socially, having some idle talk, without much serious information in it, and

"chat" slightly suggesting a "friendly, informal conversation" (Cambridge Dictionary). So, it suggests you know the people well, you are somehow close to them. In tigh-knit little community/town, for instance where everyone knows each other.
However if you talk about shooting the breeze in a Forum, Internet etc, you can use the word "chat" freely, without worring much about the connotation of it.

http://hedgersabroad.wordpress.com/2014 ... ral-korea/
This is also true of our students. We can’t help but constantly bump into our kids as we walk around our small town and it’s so nice to be able to stop and have a little chat to them outside of school.

Why don't you give me a call and we'll have a chat? (Cambridge Dictionary´s example.)

I had a chat with my boss today about a possible salary increase. (ditto)
(Here perhaps you are talking informally with a colleague at the office, hence the informality.)

It was the usual idle chat (= conversation about unimportant things) . (ditto)

She spends hours on the phone chatting to her friends.
We were just chatting about what we did last weekend.

============
In a more general way, one can say "shoot the breeze" (idiom) as in "Jeff enjoys spending his Saturday afternoons drinking beer and shooting the breeze. ", converse idly, chit-chat (talk about trivial matters).

http://educacao.uol.com.br/disciplinas/ ... baixoi.htm
alexandre.santos 2 4 41
It was a wonderful explanation, PPaulo, thank you very much!
nice going!
PPAULO 6 49 1.3k
Glad that you like it.
Ah! I was going to forget...

small talk noun [ U ]
conversation about things which are not important, often between people who do not know each other well
I don't enjoy parties where I have to make small talk with complete strangers.
Source: Cambridge Dictionary.

Notice the "often", it may or may not be between people that do not know each other well. To me, the "about things wich are not important" prevails, sort of.
Sometimes to talk about the weather, for instance. It´s a tentatively way of win some new friends, who knows?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Small_talk
In spite of seeming to have little useful purpose, small talk is a bonding ritual and a strategy for managing interpersonal distance.[4] It serves many functions in helping to define the relationships between friends, work colleagues, and new acquaintances.

A funny (perhaps) example taken from the site Urban Dictionary.

When you come across that person you haven't seen in a while, but you really have no close connection with them anyways. But you know... you don't want to be rude and just walk right past them... so then it turns to a complete bullshitting session between you and this aquaintance.

Example conversation:

"YO! Hey whats up man? What you been doing?"
"Oh.. yeah I had a baby and sh*t..."
"Oh thats cool....."

"OK BYE!"
"BYE!"
CURSO DE PRONÚNCIA
Domine todos os sons do inglês com o nosso novo curso de pronúncia. O professor Adir Ferreira, referência no ensino de pronúncia, criou este curso especialmente para o English Experts. INICIAR AGORA
alexandre.santos 2 4 41
way to go again, you are so "englishexpert"...lol.... thank you!
PPAULO 6 49 1.3k
Nah, Iam just a learner of English like you. We are in the same boat, learning things by the day. The language don´t cease to astound us, it´s vast as the ocean, and equally surprising!
Anyway, thanks for your compliment, it´s a proof that I am doing some homework. ;)
Donay Mendonça 23 127 1.7k
Opção:

Have a word with

Could I have a word with you? [=could I talk with you briefly?] [Merriam-Webster]
Eu poderia ter um dedo de prosa com você?
Eu poderia falar com você um instante?

Bons estudos.