É correto dizer "Do you rather..."?

Posso fazer a seguinte pergunta: "Do you rather have an ice-cream or popsicle?"

Sei que a palavra "RATHER" tem "n" significados.
Quando se trata de preferências, utilizamos a locução WOULD RATHER com mesmo significado de PREFER.

(Lembrando que usamos PREFER para preferências permanentes e WOULD RATHER para preferências momentâneas).
Ex.: I prefer to sleep after a good bath.
Ex.: I'd rather stay home tonight, I'm tired.

Anyway, já que eu posso perguntar "Do you prefer....?", posso perguntar também "Do you rather...?"

It sounds weird, right? Ou o "RATHER" só poder ser usado com o auxiliar "WOULD"?

Thanks for answering!

APRESENTAÇÃO PESSOAL EM INGLÊS
Nesta aula, a professora Camila Oliveira ensina como você deve se preparar para fazer uma apresentação pessoal profissional em inglês. O conteúdo dessa aula ajudará você a aproveitar melhor as oportunidades no ambiente corporativo. ACESSAR AULA
3 respostas
Ordenar por: Data
PPAULO 6 49 1.3k
No, you don´t.

With "do" you can ask questions that elicit asnwers with do, or the verb that is in the question.
Example: Do you like ice-cream?
Yes, I do.
Yes, I like.

That is an Achilles´hell to the student that speaks Portuguese, because in questions with "have" he forgets and tries to answer with "I do".

====================
Back to the crux of the question, with "would you rather" is a question that states two choices, one is the one that you is expected to pick.
It´s a choice between two or more things (yes, involves choices, not just that you "like" something. Here the person have to make a choice between them.)
In this way, "do you" don´t go with the adverb "rather". "Would rather'' is the proper way, unless I am proven otherwise.

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/rather
http://www.wordreference.com/pten/preferir
Obrigado PPAULO! Valeu!

Só uma observação: Aprendi que em "Short Answers", não podemos usar o verbo em questão, e sim, apenas os auxiliares.

Exemplo: Do you like ice cream? "Yes, I do" OU "No, I don't".

Mas se optarmos por usar o mencionado verbo da sentença, devemos dar a resposta COMPLETA.

Exemplo: Do you like ice-cream? "Yes, I like ice-cream" or "No, I don't like ice-cream".

Aprendi que "Yes, I like", e somente isso, está gramaticalmente errado.

Abração, cara!
PPAULO 6 49 1.3k
Very good! nice point indeed. Thanks, and hugs. :P