Por que Committed to selling e não Committed to sell?

We're committed TO SELLING high-quality products which we hope you'll enjoy using.

Why TO SELLING and not TO SELL?

Thanks in advance!

INGLÊS PARA VIAGENS
A professora Marcela Miranda, mais conhecida como a Tia do Inglês, ensina nesta aula introdutória o vocabulário básico de inglês para viagens. Está se preparando para sua próxima viagem? A sua jornada começa aqui! ACESSAR AULA
4 respostas
Ordenar por: Data
Cinnamon 16 60 498
Hi Mauro,

Depende do que se quer dizer:

Commit:
[transitive, often passive] to promise sincerely that you will definitely do something, keep to an agreement or arrangement, etc.
commit somebody/yourself (to something/to doing something)

Ex.:The President is committed to reforming health care.
Borrowers should think carefully before committing themselves to taking out a loan.

commit somebody/yourself do something.

Ex.:Both sides committed themselves to settle the dispute peacefully.
Source: Oxford Learner's Dictionary

Look:
Alguns verbos como o "enjoy", só aceitam -ING: I enjoying doing what I do. ;)
Outros somente o "To": I want to go now.
Outros ainda aceitam os dois podendo ou não mudar o significado do que se quer dizer:
I like doing my homework. I like to go to the beach.
I love eating at Sth King...
:lol:
I Stop to check my tires. Parei para checar meus pneus.
I stopped smoking some months ago. Parei de fumar há alguns meses.
Nos dois últimos exemplos, com "stop" existe uma diferença clara de significado por oposição de uma ideia à outra.
No caso do seu exemplo o verbo comprometer-se usa naturalmente o -ING no verbo que o segue, mas pode haver outra estrutura como no segundo exemplo do Oxford Dictionary.

Cheers!
Obrigado pela tua resposta. Contudo fiquei com uma pequena dúvida. Na verdade a minha dúvida está no uso do TO antes de uma Verbo terminado em ING.
Cinnamon 16 60 498
Hi again,

I might've misunderstood your question, let me try again ;)

Committed to selling é um questão de verbo antecedido por preposição, o "to" nessa frase não é apenas o indicativo de infinitivo que conhecemos. É preposição que concorda diretamente com o primeiro verbo. Pela regra sempre que houver uma preposição o verbo seguinte terá -ING independente de haver outro verbo ou não.
PPAULO 6 49 1.3k
Another way to see that, is that committed to + ING is to talk about a usual state/action.
Whereas "committed to + infinitive would be an ongoing (still to come/to happens) state/action.

We're committed TO SELLING high-quality products which we hope you'll enjoy using.

Well, it's not in books/dictionaries etc, but makes indeed a lot of sense!
I am just 99.00 percent sure of it, though, not a hundred yet. Anyway, not being much grammatical it still rather likely and practical.
Ref. quora

We're committed TO SELL high-quality products which we hope you'll enjoy using.
(the ongoing [action that will happen once, "when you get here". A specific/single occurrence in the near future.)

As in:
At Flooring Warehouse we are committed to sell you high quality modern floor that will compliment your home.

Further reading, to other view on the matter: englishteachermelanie