"There is four of us" x "There are four of us"?

Hello,

I was wondering if the correct way to say is "There is four of us" instead of "There are four of us", because that's what I've heard in a TV series (the first one). So I thought maybe it's like the use of the verb "há", in Portuguese, isn't? (We use the singular form when it's put in an existence way, right?).

And what about "The rest of the staff are solid"? That's how I've seen it in an educational material, but shouldn't that be "The rest of the staff is solid"?

Thanks!

ENTENDENDO AS HORAS EM INGLÊS
Nesta aula, a professora Camila Oliveira ensina vários macetes para você nunca mais se confundir na hora de dizer as horas em inglês. ACESSAR AULA
3 respostas
Ordenar por: Data
  Resposta mais votada
16 60 498
Hi again!

Tecnicamente o plural "are" seria a primeira opção. Já vi britânicos utilizando essa forma, várias vezes.
Contudo, não sei se esclarece sua dùvida, mas veja o que diz um britânico:
"I'm British and always have been.
I'd say either of the following two:
There's four of us in our family. (yes 'there are' is technically correct but it's easier to say 'there's' so a lot of us do it, despite it technically being singular)
We're a family of four."
Como acontece bastante com o inglês falado, informalmente parece ser aceito o uso de singular na estrutura da sua questão, à princípio.
Costumo dizer que como não nativo da língua inglesa prefiro seguir a gramática nessas questões, mas o conhecimento das possibilidades de se expressar, de outras formas talvez muito comuns, vale à pena.
Obrigado pelo post, it made me think about that.

Cheers!
TESTE DE VOCABULÁRIO
Faça um teste e descubra como está seus conhecimentos de vocabulário de inglês em 5 minutos! Este teste foi desenvolvido por professores experientes. O resultado sai na hora e com gabarito. INICIAR TESTE
16 60 498
Hi there BkackShot!

Embora em português haver (existir) seja invariável em termos de número, em inglês a figura do to be impessoal o chamado there to be, é expressa no singular e plural:
there is, there are, there was and there were
So in English the correct is:
There is just one person.
There are four of us.
There are some friends.
There is sugar on the table.
There is someone down there.
There are many things to do.
There is everything you want here.
The last example there is is used because of "everything", but in general "there is or there are", are applied taking into account individuals and groups, countable or uncountable nouns.

Cheers!
Obrigado pelas dicas, Cinnamon! Embora eu já conhecesse as diferentes formas do there, é sempre bom revisar, né?! :) Mas o que me deixou intrigado foi porque, no seriado que eu estava assistindo, um personagem usou "There's four of us", e não "There are four of us". Qual seria o motivo?