Como dizer "Para o arrogante..." em inglês

Para o arrogante Medici, just draw the necessary conclusions from this dogmatic premise, simply apply logic.

To the arrogant Medici, basta tirar as conclusões necessárias desta premissa dogmática, basta aplicar a lógica.

COMO COMBINAR PALAVRAS EM INGLÊS
Nesta aula, o professor Denilso de Lima, autor do livro "Combinando Palavras em Inglês", ensina como as collocations (combinações de palavras) podem ajudar você a falar inglês com mais naturalidade. ACESSAR AULA
8 respostas
Ordenar por: Data
  Resposta mais votada
2 5 28
Cinnamon is right. Do you know that Bible verse...?

Todas as coisas são puras para os puros.

In English it is:

To the pure, all things are pure.
INGLÊS PARA VIAGENS
A professora Marcela Miranda, mais conhecida como a Tia do Inglês, ensina nesta aula introdutória o vocabulário básico de inglês para viagens. Está se preparando para sua próxima viagem? A sua jornada começa aqui! ACESSAR AULA
Eu não sou nenhuma expert, mas acho que seria "for". Não tenho certeza se iria o "the" em frente de arrogant. Mas outros do forum são mais experientes para dizer sobre isso!
16 60 498
Hi folks!

If "para" is about one's opinion or "according to him/her I would say "to" like in Hecuba's translation...

"For" que nomalmente dá uma idéia de propósito, finalidade, para (com) a pessoa que fala "didn't fit" I guess...
Like in the song: "you are so beautiful to me." (em minha opinião)

To sum up:
They are kind to me. "Pra mim eles são bons."
You are so beautiful to me. "Para mim você é tão bonita."
To the arrong Medici.. "Para (segundo) o arrogante M..."

Note: I think the use of "the" is correct due to the structure using the adjective to identify/separate the person (who is this Medici?)
You should wait for more replies though.

Cheers!
2 5 28
For "basta", you could also use the form "all you need to do is".

According to the arrogant Medici, all you need to do is (to) draw the necessary conclusions.

Outra forma de se dizer "basta" é "it is enough to".
O para é no sentido de opinião, como você disse.
Obrigada a todos!
Cinnamon escreveu:Hi folks!

If "para" is about one's opinion or "according to him/her I would say "to" like in Hecuba's translation...

"For" que nomalmente dá uma idéia de propósito, finalidade, para (com) a pessoa que fala "didn't fit" I guess...
Like in the song: "you are so beautiful to me." (em minha opinião)

To sum up:
They are kind to me. "Pra mim eles são bons."
You are so beautiful to me. "Para mim você é tão bonita."
To the arrong Medici.. "Para (segundo) o arrogante M..."

Note: I think the use of "the" is correct due to the structure using the adjective to identify/separate the person (who is this Medici?)
You should wait for more replies though.

Cheers!
TESTE DE NÍVEL
Faça um teste de inglês e descubra seu nível em 10 minutos! Este teste foi desenvolvido por professores experientes. O resultado sai na hora e com gabarito. INICIAR TESTE
6 49 1.3k
Hi there guys! Here goes my take on it. To me both could be used, anyway they seem like not being used much, generally they use others "workarounds" to say that.

"To arrogant Medici" would be possible, although it´s not broadly used in novel reviews, for instance.
But it (to my thinking), has a ring of talking in a general way.

"To the arrogant Medici" slightly suggests that there are more than one, a family of Medicis perhaps lives and walks on the novel´s pages, or it could be used in a sense of "epic/grand", or to "over-emphasize the arrogance of Medici-the character, maybe the main character.
In a way, here, "the arrogant" adjective the guy, in a colourful novel with a profusion of characters with marked features, e.g. The arrogant governor, the fearful wife, and the spoiled children (remember? Denis, the menace.)
So, the character´s thought would be singled out by its intensity.

So, if it´s to choose one, the first one would be my first choice, should the context match to it.

=
http://www.theguardian.com/books/2012/m ... ead-review

To Descartes, animals were at best automata, but a parrot taught the word "bon" by the French physiologist Michel Cabanac would use it, unprompted, in response to pleasurable activities such as preening and tickling.

=
THE "WORKAROUNDS"

It´s likely that they use some words/expressions to that effect. Such as, in Medici´s mind, Medici thinks that, Medici believes that...and so on and on.

And my sentence, at last.

In Medici´s arrogant thinking, one has just to draw (the necessary) conclusions from this dogmatic premise, simply by using/applying logic.

Anyway, I may or may not be right, it´s just an opinion of an ESL student here.
They were clearly preening to one another about their cars. Esse preening é tipo se achando? Se gabando?
6 49 1.3k
Yes, you are right. As in "He preened himself on having been graduated with honors." or "The book, surprisingly, is not the self-aggrandizing vanity trip of a preening pop star one would expect."
That is, generally when someone is boasting, talking with excessive pride and self-satisfaction about one's achievements, possessions, or abilities, (of a person, place, or thing.

See definition of boast at
https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/

And of preening.
http://www.dictionary.com/browse/preening