Como dizer "cálculo que estime" em inglês

Olá,

Como poderia traduzir estas duas palavras "que estime"? É sobre esta frase: "a possibilidade de a partir de X criar um cálculo que estime Y".

Eu traduzi da seguinte forma: "the possibility from X create a calculus which assess Y".

Obrigado.

AMPLIANDO O VOCABULÁRIO
Isa Mara Lando é uma referência entre os profissionais de tradução. Ela já traduziu mais de 100 livros, entre eles estão obras de autores aclamados, como: George Orwell, Salman Rushdie e Walter Isaacson (a biografia de Einstein). Nesta aula gratuita, Isa dá várias dicas de vocabulário. ACESSAR AULA
2 respostas
Ordenar por: Data
Ricardo F. Bernardi 6 26 454
Boa noite, Rilke.

Eu optaria por "I presume it estimates" ou "I believe it will estimate''. Embora o uso da palavra 'estime' possa ter outro significado conforme o contexto da frase completa.

Quanto a frase apresentada, o uso do pronome 'we' a tornaria mais completa sem outras nuances, tal como "the possibility we create a calculus from X which will lead us to Y / which will take us to Y". Quando digo nuances, me refiro ao fato de que a frase apresentada 'X create ... '' dá-se a entender que o próprio X é o sujeito da ação, isto é, ele é quem cria o cálculo.

Espero ter ajudado.
(I hope this may help you!)

Ricardo.
PPAULO 6 49 1.3k
Well, to me it could have plenty of ways to state that. Depending on what you think, which field you are into, etc.

For instance, you could talk about a system of coordinates (bidimensional, I mean) in this case you could say that x is a number that represents a coordinate of a point (or a variable, if you wish).
If you have the x (coordinate) point/variable you find y.

That is, if you have a number x you can find y.

You can talk about it in terms of abcissa and ordinate (ordenada) axis.

==============
You could also be talking about a formula (or function) in general, formula meaning an equation with at least two variables. That is, if you have the value of x you find the value of y.

In statistics you coud say "if you have a number x you can get a unique number y.

Again, in a general way, you can see this dual thing, as in:
This fallacy is usually there in the background when you hear someone talking about how x percent of the population have y percent of the wealth.
http://paulgraham.com/wealth.html

Lots of possibilities. Now I leave it to the experts.