Bigot x Fanatic: Qual é a diferença?

TheBigSpire 1 11 33
Hey folks!

Me bateu essa dúvida após assistir um vídeo sobre o islã e fui a busca! De acordo com o Merriam-Webster:

bigot (n): a person who strongly and unfairly dislikes other people, ideas, etc. : a bigoted person; especially : a person who hates or refuses to accept the members of a particular group (such as a racial or religious group)
i.e.: He was labeled a bigot after making some offensive comments.
an incorrigible bigot who hasn't entertained a new thought in years

fanatic (n): marked by excessive enthusiasm and often intense uncritical devotion <they're fanatic about politics>
i.e.: Because of her fanatical views, her friends know better than to discuss religion with her

Dessa forma, me parece que bigot encaixa mais na ideia de intolerância e rejeição às ideias de determinado(s) grupo(s), enquanto que fanatic tem mais a ver com o entusiasmo excessivo à alguma ideologia/religião/time.

Cheers :P

TESTE DE NÍVEL
Faça um teste de inglês e descubra seu nível em 10 minutos! Este teste foi desenvolvido por professores experientes. O resultado sai na hora e com gabarito. Você ainda ganha o eBook sobre o Verbo Get em seu e-mail. INICIAR TESTE
1 resposta
PPAULO 6 49 1.3k
Yes, a bigot is a fanatic who is intolerant towards those with different views and opinions.
A fanatic can be overly enthusiast and/or obssessed with some of his/her enthusiasm (a sport team/comics/fitness... etc) sometimes to the point of being annoying to others that doesn´t enjoy the same interests.

A fanatic can be also so obssessed with something, that his opinion can bloat his mind and he become intolerant and not "accept" that others may have a point, other interests, other team etc...Then he turns into a fanatical bigot.

So, fanatism can mean a more more moderate form of overenthusiasm or then plain bigotry, the reverse is not always true.
Example:
You normally don´t say that someone is bigot supporter of Barcelona/Flamengo/Íbis etc, the natural way is to state that someone is fanatic for Barcelona, etc., in this case.