To see x Seeing: Qual a diferença?

To see x Seeing: Qual a diferença?
Eu estava estudando e me deparei com uma explicação sobre o verbo to see no gerúndio!

O livro afirma que seeing tem um sentido diferente to verbo propriamente dito!

Está escrito assim:

"Seeing is not used with the same meaning of to see, but it is used in sentences like:
I guess she is seeing him tonight.
In this case, means that the girl is going to meet a boy to a romantic relationship.
"

Minha pergunta é: Posso usar o verbo "seeing" como gerúndio do "to see" ou não - apenas nesse sentido do exemplo do livro?

APRESENTAÇÃO PESSOAL EM INGLÊS
Nesta aula, a professora Camila Oliveira ensina como você deve se preparar para fazer uma apresentação pessoal profissional em inglês. O conteúdo dessa aula ajudará você a aproveitar melhor as oportunidades no ambiente corporativo. ACESSAR AULA
3 respostas
Ordenar por: Data
  Resposta mais votada
6 49 1.3k
Yes Vanessa, that´s right. The verb "see" in the gerund form (seeing) can´t be used to express actions that are happening right now (present continuous - I am doing...).

To say "você está vendo aquele homem lá?" you would say/ask in English "Do you see that man over there?"

Normally, the same happens with the so-called sense verbs - see, hear, smell, taste.

Example (from the transcript of Good Will Hunting):

Hypnotist's Office
HYPNOTIST - Okay...you are in your bed, Will. Now...how old are you?
WILL - Seven.
HYPNOTIST - What do you see?
WILL - Someone's in my room.
HYPNOTIST - What is it?
WILL - It's like...uh...it's a figure. It's uh..hoverin' over me.

Ref. Moviescriptsandscreenplays

The same happens with the verb "mean", you ask "What do you mean?" (O que você está querendo dizer com isso?) and not "What are you meaning?" or What do you meaning?
TESTE DE NÍVEL
Faça um teste de inglês e descubra seu nível em 10 minutos! Este teste foi desenvolvido por professores experientes. O resultado sai na hora e com gabarito. INICIAR TESTE
Woooooooow
A perfect explanation!
Thank you very much PPAULO
6 49 1.3k
Glad that it helped!