"I dare not" x "I don't dare"

Gostaria de saber a diferença entre as duas sentenças: "I dare not let the children out..." "I don't dare let the..."

EU encontrei ambas opções no google sendo usadas, e as duas possuem a mesma tradução no google tradutor.

Obrigado!

INGLÊS PARA VIAGENS
A professora Marcela Miranda, mais conhecida como a Tia do Inglês, ensina nesta aula introdutória o vocabulário básico de inglês para viagens. Está se preparando para sua próxima viagem? A sua jornada começa aqui! ACESSAR AULA
4 respostas
Ordenar por: Data
  Resposta mais votada
1 24 214
Não há nenhuma. Entre os falantes nativos de inglês, há quem prefira "...dare not..." a "...don't dare..." e vice-versa.

Observe que "dare" pode vir com ou sem "to":

"Franziska doesn't dare (to) jump into the lake herself"
"Franziska dare not jump into the lake herself"
"Herr von Rundstedt heard the knock, but he didn't dare to open the door"
"And no one dare disturb the sound of silence" - Música "The Sound Of Silence"

Veja mais detalhes aqui.
MELHORE SUA PRONÚNCIA EM INGLÊS
Nesta aula, o professor Adir Ferreira, autor do livro "A Chave do Aprendizado da Língua Inglesa", nos conta como se tornou um Expert em pronúncia e dá várias dicas para você se comunicar melhor em inglês. ACESSAR AULA
6 49 1.3k
"Dare not" to my thinking, would be used for emphasis, or in more formal ways.
Many would daresay that this usage (that is, not in a sense of emphasis or formal) is almost extinct these days in A.E. (American English).
1 24 214
PP, where does it say "almost extinct these days"? Have you done any extensive research into it?

Of course, we can always resort to other verbs other than dare to express what we have in mind.

For example, we can make a "Don't you dare..." statement stronger with:

"Don't even think about it!"
"Don't go there!"

More informally or vulgarly, instead of saying, “Don't you dare talk to me like that, you little punk!” you may choose to say, "Don't f*cking talk to me like that, you little f*ckwit!" But I wouldn't recommend it.
6 49 1.3k
Indeed I meant the inversions "dare not/need not", today it´s more common to say "don´t dare/doesn´t dare". "Dare not/need not" was once used way more than they are used now, now it´s for emphasis or in formal contexts.