Grand Jury and True BilI - Tradução em português

16 60 498
Hi there,

Would you mind helping me with the following from the Case Ferguson in USA?

"(CNN) -- The signs pointed to the grand jury drawing near a decision as to whether Ferguson police Officer Darren Wilson will be charged with a crime for fatally shooting Michael Brown.

But word leaked out Saturday that when the Missouri grand jury wrapped up its session Friday, it hadn't wrapped up the case. The 12 grand jurors will meet again Monday, sources said.

People are getting antsy. Supporters of Brown's family want to see Wilson go to trial. The officer's supporters want him to be vindicated.

Business owners worry about their property. Officials are concerned about keeping the peace.

It's still unclear when we will hear what the grand jury has decided."

"Reports that after months of evidence presentation and two days of deliberation, the grand jury returned
no true bill,".

My questions are:
Grand Jury can be translated into Portuguese = Juri popular?
What could be True Bill in Portuguese? (something similar to that)

I know that's about US Justice System, diferent from ours, but I was wondering if there is a version in our language.

Thank You!

:ugeek:

TESTE DE NÍVEL
Faça um teste de inglês e descubra seu nível em 10 minutos! Este teste foi desenvolvido por professores experientes. O resultado sai na hora e com gabarito. Você ainda ganha o eBook sobre o Verbo Get em seu e-mail. INICIAR TESTE
2 respostas
Ordenar por: Data
  Resposta mais votada
4 19 70
Hello there.

After searching for some references about it, I founded some interesting descriptions about those terms:

Grand Jury: a jury in each county or federal court district which serves for a term of a year and is usually selected from a list of nominees offered by the judges in the county or district. The traditional 23 members may be appointed or have their names drawn from those nominated. A Grand Jury has two responsibilities:

1) to hear evidence of criminal accusations in possible felonies (major crimes) presented by the District Attorney and decide whether the accused should be indicted and tried for a crime. Since many felony charges are filed by the District Attorney in a municipal or other lower court which holds a preliminary hearing to determine if there is just cause for trial instead of having the Grand Jury hear the matter, this function is of minor importance in many jurisdictions.

2) to hear evidence of potential public wrong-doing by city and county officials, including acts which may not be crimes but are imprudent, ineffective or inefficient, and make recommendations to the country and cities involved.

Example: a Grand Jury may recommend that a new jail is needed, find that there is evidence of favoritism in the sheriff's office, that some city council members are profiting by overlooking drug dealing by city staffers, or that judges are not carrying a full load of cases to be tried.

True bill: the written decision of a Grand Jury (signed by the Grand Jury foreperson) that it has heard sufficient evidence from the prosecution to believe that an accused person probably committed a crime and should be indicted. Thus, the indictment is sent to the court.

References:
http://dictionary.law.com/Default.aspx?selected=828
http://dictionary.law.com/Default.aspx?selected=2168

Take care!
COMO COMBINAR PALAVRAS EM INGLÊS
Nesta aula, o professor Denilso de Lima, autor do livro "Combinando Palavras em Inglês", ensina como as collocations (combinações de palavras) podem ajudar você a falar inglês com mais naturalidade. ACESSAR AULA
16 60 498
Thanks man, if I had any vote left today it'd be for you.