E se o pronome "ele" significar "ele ou ela"...

No português, as vezes podemos utilizar o pronome ele para indicar tanto o masculino quanto o feminino. E as vezes até podemos utilizar o pronome ela. Por exemplo:

"Alguém está batendo na porta. É melhor eu atender antes que ele quebre a porta!"

"Tem uma pessoa querendo falar com você. Ela disse que é urgente."

Não sou bom em gramática portuguesa, mas entendo que (me corrijam, caso eu esteja errado) na primeira frase usamos 'ele' por ser "alguém" um substantivo masculino. Enquanto que na segunda frase usamos "ela" por ser "pessoa" um substantivo feminino. Em inglês, como eu devo lidar com isso. Tenho em minha memória que já li em algum lugar quando menor que devíamos usar o "it". Por exemplo, deveria escrever:

"Someone is knocking on the door. Is better I meet before it breaks down the door!"

"There is a person that want to talk with you. It said that is urgent."

Isto está correto?

TESTE DE VOCABULÁRIO
Faça um teste e descubra como está seus conhecimentos de vocabulário de inglês em 5 minutos! Este teste foi desenvolvido por professores experientes. O resultado sai na hora e com gabarito. INICIAR TESTE
4 respostas
Ordenar por: Data
Cinnamon 16 60 498
Hi there!

It is not correct.
You can he or she, the person, or not to use a pronoun at all, see:

Someone is knocking on your door, it is better answer before it is broken. :x

It para a porta não a pessoa.

Other possibilities:
... better answer before they break it.
... better answer or he/she will break it.
... The person will break it.

Todos os "it" são referências à porta.

Normalmente não generalizamos no inglês com a forma masculina como no português. Não é correto o uso de "it" pois até para os pets que amamos costumamos usar he / she.
Já o plural they pode ser usado sem problemas para pessoas ou animais e coisas.

:mrgreen:
I'll try to answer in English. I'm learning yet, so sorry for my English...

In the case of the door's sentence, we can reformulate the sentence like you suggest. But in general, it's not possible to do this. For instance, the second sentence that I wrote:

How can I say this? It's true that I can say:

"There is a person that want to talk with you. This person said that is urgent."

But this repetition of "person" make the sentence ugly and I think that it's unnecessary. And, of course, we can't say:

"There is a person that want to talk with you. She said that is urgent."

When a priori we don't know the genre of this person. On other side, like you said, we can't use "it". So, my conclusion is that we can't say. The only way is to reformulate the sentence. Trying to say in other way that avoid to use the pronoun. Is this?
Cinnamon 16 60 498
Hi there!

Jus to correct my own mistakes: ;)

You can use he or she, the person, or not to use a pronoun at all, see:

Someone is knocking on your door, it is better to answer before it is broken. :roll:

It para a porta não a pessoa.

Other possibilities:
... better to answer before they break it.
... better to answer or he/she will break it.
... or the person will break it

Todos os "it" são referências à porta.

Normalmente não generalizamos no inglês com a forma masculina como no português. Não é correto o uso de "it" pois até para os pets que amamos costumamos usar he / she.
Já o plural they pode ser usado sem problemas para pessoas ou animais e coisas.

:geek:
Cinnamon 16 60 498
Walner Mendonça escreveu:I'll try to answer in English. I'm learning yet, so sorry for my English...

In the case of the door's sentence, we can reformulate the sentence like you suggest. But in general, it's not possible to do this. For instance, the second sentence that I wrote:

How can I say this? It's true that I can say:

"There is a person that want to talk with you. This person said that is urgent."

But this repetition of "person" make the sentence ugly and I think that it's unnecessary. And, of course, we can't say:

"There is a person that want to talk with you. She said that is urgent."

When a priori we don't know the genre of this person. On other side, like you said, we can't use "it". So, my conclusion is that we can't say. The only way is to reformulate the sentence. Trying to say in other way that avoid to use the pronoun. Is this?
Hello, I just want to say that English is such a "rich" language, I am sure you can find a way to say whatever you want, maybe many ways.

See some examples:
There's someone that wants to talk to you, this person said it is urgent.
Somebody just called (or left a message), he/she wants to talk to you (and asked to call her/him back).

In the first sentence you don't have a clue who is the person, I mean man or woman. In the second, whenever you use "he" or "she" you've got to be sure if you talking about a boy or a girl. :lol:
Don't say she referring to the word person, or people because "pessoa ou pessoas" in English do not apeal to gender as we see Portuguese.

Your first sentence could be:
"Someone is knocking on your door, it is better to answer before it is broken." (it - porta)

(angry) "Somebody is knocking on your door, I am afraid this idiot is going to break it before you answer." :x

(practical) "This person is knocking on your door, you'de better answer it. (it - porta) I'll call the police (on him/on her if you have that information)."

(logical) "There is a man knocking upon your door."
"A man, how do you know that? Can be a woman."
"Only a man knocks that strong..." :roll:

You can use "this" or "that" to refer to the person, and a quite long list of adjectives, but generalize He/She no, you can't or shouldn't, just avoid doing that.

:mrgreen: