Como dizer "Pé de guerra" em inglês

Como dizer "Pé de guerra" em inglês
Como dizer "Pé de guerra" em inglês?

Eu vi em um livro ai fiquei curioso pra saber.

TESTE DE NÍVEL
Faça um teste de inglês e descubra seu nível em 10 minutos! Este teste foi desenvolvido por professores experientes. O resultado sai na hora e com gabarito. INICIAR TESTE
6 respostas
Ordenar por: Data
  Resposta mais votada
7 62 296
All the posts are good and useful. I think I would save "on the warpath" for times I am trying to express humor. The expression, of course, comes from the days of the Wild West when Indian tribes would go to war against their enemies.

My wife is on the warpath because I came home late.
Avoid the boss this morning. He is on the warpath again and nobody knows why.
When my parents saw my report card from school with those terrible grades, they went on the warpath and said I could not go out with my friends for a month.

By the way, Indians in the USA would paint their faces in general and their faces in particular. It was called "warpaint" in those days. Today "warpaint" is what men call women's makeup. LOL
TESTE DE NÍVEL
Faça um teste de inglês e descubra seu nível em 10 minutos! Este teste foi desenvolvido por professores experientes. O resultado sai na hora e com gabarito. INICIAR TESTE
1 3 96
Caso se refira à expressão "em pé de guerra", encontrei on the warpath.
23 127 1.7k
Estar em pé de guerra em inglês: to be at war

Exemplos de uso:
  • ''The Greeks and Turks have been at war for many years.''
  • ''The two families were at war about the bill for the wedding reception.''
Referência:

Engaged in armed conflict; also, in a state of disagreement. This term may be used literally, usually of nations or smaller groups engaged in armed hostilities, as well as hyperbolically, describing a mild disagreement as "war," and figuratively, for an inner conflict. For example, The Greeks and Turks have been at war for many years (literally); The two families were at war about the bill for the wedding reception (hyperbolic); and, as Shakespeare put it in Measure for Measure (2:2): "I am at war 'twixt will and will not" (inner conflict of indecision). [Late 1300s] [Thefreedictionary]

Bons estudos. Compartilhe.
3 15 131
My suggestion:

to be on a war footing.

Bye!
6 49 1.3k
Why are the EU and Google at loggerheads over search results?
Por que a União Européia e Google estão em pé de guerra quanto aos resultados de busca (do Google)?
TESTE DE VOCABULÁRIO
Faça um teste e descubra como está seus conhecimentos de vocabulário de inglês em 5 minutos! Este teste foi desenvolvido por professores experientes. O resultado sai na hora e com gabarito. INICIAR TESTE
6 49 1.3k
Ha ha, I almost had a belly-laugh with warpaint being women´s makeup. Ha ha ha, stop stop, my belly hurts! haha. :lol:
Nice imagery, many won´t agree with my sense of humour, though! :P