A bit of information on pronoun-dropping Portuguese

Avatar do usuário Marcio_Farias 12280 1 21 206
<begin quote>
A bit of information on pro-drop languages (Pronoun-dropping languages) Read about it at wikipedia.

We generally leave out the personal pronouns eu, tu, ele(ela), nós, vós, eles(elas) as well as the subjects and objects in spoken Portuguese, because we almost always infer them from the verb ending or conjugation.

Vejo as flores. (I watch the flowers)
Here Vejo clearly calls for the personal pronoun Eu (I), because the verb form can only take an Eu personal pronoun and no other.

Dormiu como um anjo. (He, She or You slept like an angel)
In Dormiu one clearly infers only an Ele or Ela or Você personal pronoun could fit there. (Ele dormiu... or Ela dormiu... or Você dormiu...)

Rimos à beça daquela piada. (We laughed a lot at that joke)
Rimos gives itself right away. Only a Nós personal pronoun could go there. No other could. (Nós rimos..., We laughed...)

Vieram com uma peça a menos. (They came with minus a piece)
As in all the other sentence examples, here an invisible Eles or Elas or Vocês personal pronoun prefaces the sentence. We know it lies there, but spoken Portuguese simply drops it, because the verb gives itself away as a telltale would. Vieram then could only take an Eles or Elas or Vocês third person plural pronoun.
<end quote>

Hey, do you think I could write a Portuguese grammar manual entirely in English? LOL!

And can you see or spot any appreciably weird passages of English in it? ;)

You can get it if you really want/But you must try, try and try/Try and try--you'll succeed at last meaning I can write a book if I repeatedly attempt to do it. So can you!