American Slang e Jargon (parte 1)

josneywat 6
AMERICAN SLANG & JARGON (PART 1)
Now that vacations are over, we are gonna start a new interesting activity. From now on we are gonna learn some of the most popular business slang terms and jargons adopted into everyday speech used by everyone.

The business expressions and slang terms are presented (indicated in boldface) as they may be heard in an actual conversation. A translation of the dialogue in Standard English is always given afterwards followed by an important phonetic version of the dialogues as it would actually be spoken by a native-born American.
Pay attention to them and enjoy yourself!

DIALOGUE IN SLANG

David is at Gordon´s house admiring his new personal computer.

David: Is that the new computer you´re using for desktop publishing?
Gordon: Yeah! It´s a clone with all sorts of bells and whistles, even a joystick. In fact, my PC has a monitor which shows everything in WYSIWYG and it calls up docs much faster than my laptop.
David: As long as it´s user-friendly! Just be careful. Sometimes you can get a glitch in your software which will make your computer crash and zap all your data. That happened to me once as soon as I booted the computer. My system was down for a week! Luckily I had a backup of most of the files. It was probably caused by a virus that I downloaded from a BBS. So it doesn´t happen to you, I´ll modem you an antidote. Just make sure to keep it on floppy in case you need it again.

DIALOGUE IN STANDARD ENGLISH

David: Is that the new computer you´re using for in-house typesetting?
Gordon: Yeah! It´s a copy of a more expensive brand with all sorts of useless yet enticing features, even a computer control shaped like a stick. In fact, my personal computer has a screen which shows everything exactly how it will appear when printed and it retrieve computer documents much faster than my small portable computer.
David: As long as it´s easy to use! Just be careful. Sometimes you can get a minor malfunction in your computer program which will make your computer fail and delete all your data. That happened to me once as soon as I started the computer. My computer was inoperative for a week! Luckily I had a diskette copy of most of the computer documents. It was probably caused by a hidden instruction in the computer program meant to destroy data that I received from another computer from a Bulletin Board System. So it doesn´t happen to you, I´ll electronically transmit you an remedy. Just make sure to keep it on removable disk in case you need it again.

DIALOGUE IN SLANG AS IT WOULD BE HEARD

David: Izat the new compuder yer using fer desktop publishing?
Gordon: Yeah! It´s a clone with all sorts 'a bells 'n whistles, even a joystick. In fact, my PC has a monider which shows ev'rything 'n wizee-wig and it calls up docs much faster than my laptop.
David: As long as it´s uzer-friendly! Jus' be careful. Sometimes ya c'n ged a glitch 'n yer software which will make yer compuder crash 'n zap all yer dadah. That happen' ta me once as soon as I booded the compuder. My system was down fer a week! Luckily I had a backup of most 'a the files. It was prob'ly caused by a virus thad I downloaded from a BBS. So it doesn' happen ta you, I´ll modem you'n antidote. Jus' make sher da keep id on floppy 'n case ya need id again.

Sabe a resposta? Seja um colaborador(a)! Ao responder questões no English Experts você ganha pontos de Reputação. Se você atua na área de idiomas, suas participações na comunidade podem ser uma ótima vitrine para o seu trabalho.

Registre-se agora e faça parte!
Colabore