American Slang e Jargon (parte 2)

josneywat 6
AMERICAN SLANG & JARGON (PART 2)
The business expressions and slang terms are presented (indicated in boldface) as they may be heard in an actual conversation. A translation of the dialogue in Standard English is always given afterwards followed by an important phonetic version of the dialogues as it would actually be spoken by a native-born American.
Pay attention to them and enjoy yourself!

DIALOGUE IN SLANG

The Chairman, Mr. Holm, has already called the meeting to order. The minutes have just been read.
Mr. Holm: As we mentioned in our last meeting, it´s essential that we brainstorm about some problems that need to be laid on the table right now.
Mr. Jones: Mr. Chairman!.
Mr. Holm: The chair recognizes Mr. Jones.
Mr. Jones: Several of our officers are out of town today and we don´t have a quorum.
Ms. Benstein: Mr. Chairman, I think that...
Mr. Holm: I´m sorry Ms. Benstein. You´re out of order. Mr. Jones has the floor.
Mr. Jones: I was about to say, I move that we table the discussion until our next meeting when everyone is present.
Ms. Brown: I second the motion.
Mr. Holm: The motion has been moved and seconded. All those in favor, say "aye". All those opposed, say "nay". The "ayes" have it. The motion carries. We´ll hold our next meeting a week from Monday at the new facility. This meeting stands adjourned.

DIALOGUE IN STANDARD ENGLISH

The moderator, Mr. Holm, has already started the meeting. The record of events of the previous meeting have just been read.
Mr. Holm: As we mentioned in our last meeting, it´s essential that we try together to arrive at some solutions about some problems that need to be discussed right now.
Mr. Holm: As the moderator, I give you permission to speak, Mr. Jones.
Mr. Jones: Several of our executives who hold positions of authority in the organization are out of town today and we don´t have a minimum number of persons present needed to transact business.
Mr. Holm: I´m sorry Ms. Benstein. You´re not adhering to the rules of this meeting by speaking out of turn. Mr. Jones presently has permission to speak.
Mr. Jones: I was about to say, I propose that we postpone our discussion until our next meeting when everyone is present.
Ms. Brown: I agree with the proposal .
Mr. Holm: The motion has been proposed and agreed upon. All those in favor, say "I am in favor". All those opposed, say "I am not in favor". The "ayes" have it. The proposal will be acted upon. We´ll conduct our next meeting a week from Monday at the new location. This meeting is dismissed.

DIALOGUE IN SLANG AS IT WOULD BE HEARD

The Chairm'n, Mr. Holm, has already called the meeting ta order. The minutes've jus' been read.
Mr. Holm: As we mentioned in "R" last meeting, it´s essential that we brainstorm about s'm problems that need ta be laid on the table right now.
Mr. Holm: The chair recognizes Mr. Jones.
Mr. Jones: Several of "R" officers 'r out of town t'day 'n we don´t have a quorum.
Mr. Holm: I´m sorry Ms. Benstein. Yer oud of order. Mr. Jones has the floor.
Mr. Jones: As I w'z about ta say, I move that we table the discussion 'til our next meeding when ev'ryone's present.
Ms. Brown: I secon' the motion.
Mr. Holm: The motion has been moved 'n seconded. All those 'n favor, say "aye". All those opposed, say "nay". The "ayes" have it. The motion carries. We´ll hold "R" next meeding a week fr'm Monday at the new facility. This meeding stands adjourned.

Sabe a resposta? Seja um colaborador(a)! Ao responder questões no English Experts você ganha pontos de Reputação. Se você atua na área de idiomas, suas participações na comunidade podem ser uma ótima vitrine para o seu trabalho.

Registre-se agora e faça parte!
Colabore