American T sound/O som do 'T' em inglês americano

Hi folks!

I really have difficult with the T sound. :cry:

Well, I listened in a podcast on in this site that it's not actually like an "r" sound, which is the way that I speak.
Do you have some tips to pronounce the words below correctly?
little
beautiful
better
city
it is
water

In this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CdOgNXwCUYE, the teacher compares the sound of the T in the words above with a fast "d". For me it actually sounds like an "r" sound.

Okay, maybe it is not the "r" sound, but how much correctly the pronunciation would be if I pronounce it like an "r"?

Thanks a lot!

MELHORE SUA PRONÚNCIA EM INGLÊS
Nesta aula, o professor Adir Ferreira, autor do livro "A Chave do Aprendizado da Língua Inglesa", nos conta como se tornou um Expert em pronúncia e dá várias dicas para você se comunicar melhor em inglês. ACESSAR AULA
12 respostas
Ordenar por: Data
Flavia.lm 1 10 100
tivrfoa escreveu:(...)how much correctly the pronunciation would be if I pronounce it like an "r"?

(...)
It wouldn't be correct at all.
Nao eh R, mais o som se aproxima com R. Fica um pouco feio de ouvir se pronunciar com R simplismente, mais eh compreensivel, e com tempo vc acustuma.

Little - Lirou
beautiful - beauriful
better - Berer
city - Ciry
it is - Iris
water - Warer

Espero ter ajudado.
Flavia.lm 1 10 100
I mean "It wouldn't ..."
Donay Mendonça 23 127 1.7k
Pessoal,

Para complementar,este vídeo explica bem o assunto:
Bons estudos!
:/

I watched many videos, but I can't get that through my thick skull. I think I'll just say it with a British accent ... :oops:
COMO COMBINAR PALAVRAS EM INGLÊS
Nesta aula, o professor Denilso de Lima, autor do livro "Combinando Palavras em Inglês", ensina como as collocations (combinações de palavras) podem ajudar você a falar inglês com mais naturalidade. ACESSAR AULA
hey hey hey. I think I finally got it.

It's like a soft "d". http://www.americanaccent.com/pronunciation.html
Take a look in the topic The American T number 2: Middle of the Staircase [T is D]

Do you agree with this site?
One nice video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpYCo23tTpo

Was I saying it all wrong? Not correct at all?! Well, this relieved me a little:
... which sounds like a short d or, more precisely, like the quick, hard r sound heard in some languages, e.g. in Spanish pero or Polish teraz.

Read more: http://www.antimoon.com/how/flap-t.htm
mili
tivrfoa, I had the same problem. So what I did I practiced the most comum words I use to hear a lot like

sartuday
totally

in the beginner I was able to say T with T sound, but after hearing those words a lot, I started to pronounce them the same way as the american do.

keep listening and dont worry after a while it will come naturally to you....

the videos above are really nice, so enjoy, listen and practice it

focus in one word at a time.

right now I am focus in the word : pretty ....pretty much, pretty good, pretty bad....I was saying it with t sound because it was easy for me, but now I can say with the approximate r sound and it sounds pretty good now....but even dough it sounds good already I will keep practicing till I get what I want : the perfect pronounce for this word.
tivrfoa escreveu:One nice video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpYCo23tTpo

Was I saying it all wrong? Not correct at all?! Well, this relieved me a little:
... which sounds like a short d or, more precisely, like the quick, hard r sound heard in some languages, e.g. in Spanish pero or Polish teraz.

Read more: http://www.antimoon.com/how/flap-t.htm

Este site me confundiu ainda mais, pois de acordo com ele o T deve ser pronunciado como o R da palavra espanhola "PERO", porém este é o mesmo som do nosso R de "PARE". Segundo o site, o símbolo fonético do flap t é ɾ, que é o mesmo símbolo do nosso R quando aparece entre vogais. Até onde eu sei, o chamado flap (ou tap) é um som vibrante e não tem som de D. Será que alguém aí pode dar uma luz? Obrigado!
Marcio_Farias 1 24 214
This might interest those willing to know why New York city native speakers of English say their t's.

As refers to pronunciation of \t\, substandard speakers of English in the New York City area seemingly have adopted the glottal stop as the precise phonetic form of the consonant answering to t or tt between a preceding stressed vowel and a following /el/, as in title, battle. A higher percentage of cultured speakers of Scottish, however, use the glottal stop in the same environment, and before an unstressed vowel as in water, bitter, than a higher percentage of speakers in New York City do.

In words like winter, plenty, gentlemen, in which what corresponds to the nt of the spelling comes preceded by a stressed vowel and followed by an unstressed vowel or /el/, American speech either feebly articulates the /t/ or not at all, pairs like winter: winner seeming as difficult or impossible to distinguish without the help of context. Certainly the usual American pronunciation strongly contrasts with the usual southern British pronunciation which possesses a strongly articulated, aspirated, distinctly heard /t/. One would probably regard that sound as the first sound of the syllable to which the unstressed vowel or /el/ belongs, any /t/ that may occur in the American pronunciation probably going not unnoticed or at least belonging to the syllable that contains the \n\. Highly advanced ESL speakers might not notice the difference between the two pronunciations as /‘win(t)•e(r), ‘win•te(r)/. The absence or weakness of the /t/ in such words implies that the pronunciation became too widespread in all levels of American speech so much so one cannot ignore it. Nevertheless, one will notice the /t/-less pronunciation in the vocabulary only in an occasional word for which multiple variants may appear or from which the absence seems especially conspicuous, as at gentleman, the emphasis on the plural of this word in the formula “Ladies and Gentlemen” at the beginning of an address making the absence quite noticeable.

With chiefly native speakers of substandard English in the New York City area a pronunciation somewhat like the British often occurs, except that NYC speakers would rather put the tongue further forward, the tip frequently pressing against the lower front teeth.

[This text 10% adapted by me. Original contents and context belong to Third New International Dictionary, Unabridged (c) 1993 Merriam-Webster's]

As far as AME, sometimes you won't tell winter from winner, mainly if quickly pronounced.
COMO COMBINAR PALAVRAS EM INGLÊS
Nesta aula, o professor Denilso de Lima, autor do livro "Combinando Palavras em Inglês", ensina como as collocations (combinações de palavras) podem ajudar você a falar inglês com mais naturalidade. ACESSAR AULA
jlmmelo 14 106
Tópico relacionado:
pronuncia-do-t-t8495.html
DHST 1 3 15
Pessoal, é por essas e outras que eu decidi pronunciar com o T normal, é muito difícil, quando você achar que está pronunciando certo está errado. Tipo, aquele D suave que todos falam, então: "batter" poderia soar como "badder", certo? Tenso. Mas... é isso.