Ancrispa: Diário de Bordo

Avatar do usuário Telma Regina 22575 8 59 566
Ana, you are a good writer. I enjoy reading your texts and suggest these corrections to this one:

Bill is at the kitchen with Tricia and he’s down in the dumps. He must tell Tricia that he is going to lose his job due to the world economic crisis. The company where he works is on its last legs. And He has just found out an internal layoff list with his name is on it.
Tricia is making dinner. He starts the conversation:
Bill: Dear, we need to talk.
Tricia: Of course, my dear. What happened? You don’t look particularly radiant.
Bill: I’ve found out that my name is on an internal layoff list. I’m going to lose my job.
Tricia: Oh! This is terrible news! But Dear, are you sure?
Bill: I’m as sure as I know that snows heavily in Siberia during the winter.
Tricia: Dear don’t panic! We need to be optimistic like Pollyana.
Bill: Who is this Pollyana? Is she English?
Tricia: Pollyana is a classic of children’s literature. I can’t believe you’ve never heard about it before.
Bill: No, besides, in what possible way a novel could help me at this very moment?
Tricia: Well, to put it in a nutshell, it’s a story about a little girl, a very poor one, first she lost her mother and then her father, so she went to live with her aunt, an austere and very rich woman.
But Pollyana overcame bravely all her difficulties with positive thoughts, gentleness and lots of love.
Bill: Do you want me to burst out crying? Seriously Tricia, sometimes I think you travel to another country while I’m talking to you.
Tricia: Don’t be rude! Have you tried to look at the bright side?
Bill: What bright side! For heaven’s sake!
Tricia: We can start a small business. I’ve always wanted to open a restaurant.
Bill: You are the worst cook in England and it’s not exactly a secret for our friends and acquaintances…
Tricia: I’ve always wanted to open a language school too.
Bill: We just speak English.
Tricia: Yes, but your boss is Italian and his wife is Brazilian. Now we have English, Italian and Portuguese.
Bill: Dear! You are a genius! I haven’t thought about that! This can be an excellent solution! Franco is also on the list and the other day at the office, he brought up this conversation about changing of career. Tomorrow I’ll talk to him.
Tricia: You see! Now you are acting like Pollyana. Positive thoughts are always the best solution my dear. I’m sure this project will work.
Bill: You know dear, I don’t know what I would have become if I hadn’t met you in my life.
Tricia: Probably, you would still be living with your parents because you wouldn’t get married to another woman but me. Who else in this magnificent world would love you as I do?
Bill: It’s true my love. Shall we eat now? This entire philosophical subject has just increased my appetite.
Avatar do usuário PPAULO 36030 4 32 632
Just a note, in passing I eyed this on page 1 of this topic. Don´t know if it was already noticed, though.
Complex of communities "Favela do Alemão" (Complexo da Favela do Alemão , in plain Portuguese) but the media abroad generally don´t translate proper names, names of places, people, etc. Sometimes, but generally they don´t.

Many communities are known as "vilas", Vila Matinha, Vila Cruzeiro, etc, on the whole would be called a "complex" of communities.

http://online.wsj.com/articles/rio-face ... 1405989525
Here you can see that they understand as a complex, and a complex of communities.

http://www.economist.com/node/17627963
MENSAGEM PATROCINADA Para aprender mais sobre os Tempos Verbais baixe agora o: Guia Grátis de Tempos Verbais em Inglês. Ele contém um resumo bem estruturado para revisar os conceitos que você aprendeu na escola.

Clique aqui e saiba como baixar!
All in all, Ana, you deliver the goods.
It´s always refreshing and genuinely written, even surprising in a good way, one can feel it! you are out to be a big time writer.
Keep up the good work!
Avatar do usuário Ancrispa 2555 8 57
Telma

Thank you very much for your help. Feel free to correct my compositions whenever you can. To me, you are one of the best English teachers I've ever had. I've been learning a lot from you. I would also like to thank you for your kind words.

Paulo

Thank you very much for the tip about the proper names. I didn't know about that.

Paulo and Telma:
Feel free to correct me anytime. You are my English teachers ;)
Count on all of us, of English Experts. Telma indeed is our maestro (I struggled with "maestro/maestrina/maestra" but then, settled on maestro).

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/stor ... Id=6172220

I am a learner with a retired teacher mother, a teacher son, an aunt that was a teacher (that influenced me as well), although I would love to be a teacher. Who knows someday in the future I could make forays in that area? not now, my skills aren´t up to this so much loved and interesting task, being a provider of instruction and education.

On the other hand, I gather that yours was a cumpliment, very kind of you. So, I much appreciated your kind feedback.

I like to point that out, not exactly out of modesty. It´s because I do am a learner, and some time ago I was answering a question in an English chat, and they said that I had to point out that I was a learner, not a teacher.
Not surprising that they corrected my answer, and it was not exactly accurate.
That´s why I like to say to my the fellow learners they "don´t take my word for it", one have to use their critical thinking and make some search around.
I try to do my conscientious best, though. I just have my limits! he he. :lol:
Episódio de hoje: “The carrot cake” ;)

Tricia is making a carrot cake for the kids. She got the recipe from Maria her Brazilian friend and business partner in the language school.
She puts all the ingredients into the blender and when she presses the button of the blender to turn it on, the dough begins to shake. But there is a problem. Tricia has just forgotten to chop the carrots into small pieces.
She’s been snowed under with work at the moment. She is tired. Besides being incredibly absent-minded and inattentive by nature. She reads the recipe and it is written: three medium sized carrots.
She always cooks listening classical music. At this very moment she is listening “the Barber of Seville” by Rossini. She is absolutely delighted. It’s a wonderful piece of classical music.
Suddenly a burning smell comes from the blender. She thinks it is normal, because it must be a huge task for this little, delicate household appliance to blend all the ingredients until they become soft.

She just closes her eyes and keeps on her amazing journey to the world of the classical music. She hears a noise coming from the blender. It has burnt.
She had already pre-heated the oven before making the cake. She also forgot that. She decides to take the blender to repair.
She leaves home and is walking with the blender in her hands when she remembers she forgot to turn the oven off.
She thinks “It never rains but it pours”.
She heads back home. Luckily her hero Bill realized the oven was on while he was in the kitchen to grab some beers.
She comes into the kitchen and meets Bill. Here is the dialogue:
Bill: Dear, I’m afraid you’ve forgotten to turn the oven off. What happened? Where were you?
Tricia: Oh, dear. I was trying to make the Brazilian carrot cake that Maria taught me, when a smoke came out of the blender. And the blender stopped working. It burnt so, I thought of taking to the repair shop. I was on the way of it when I remembered that I forgot to turn off the oven.
Bill: Didn’t you hear a noise?
Tricia: Yes, a strong one.
Bill: Were you listening classical musical whilst you were cooking?
Tricia: Yes. I assume the blame. I was asleep at the wheel.
Bill: Dear, how many times I’ve told you to not listen it while you cook? You get easily distracted by it. It’s dangerous.
Tricia: Yes, dear I can see now.
Bill: Now you can listen to Lacrimosa by Mozart. Don’t you think it suits well to the occasion?
Tricia: Honey, I’m already feeling like crying.
Bill: Don’t cry. I can make some pancakes for the children.
Tricia: Would you do that for me? Oh! What a lovely husband!
Bill: Dear. It’s not that. If we don’t give them something to eat in the next twenty minutes they are going to eat one of us or one of that little kittens fur ball or even Fluffy. They are starving! Get these snacks that I found in the cupboard and take to them while I make the pancakes.
Tricia: Right away, dear.
Bill: You see dear every cloud has a silver lining.
Avatar do usuário Telma Regina 22575 8 59 566
Another good text, Ana. I've made some minor corrections:

Tricia is making a carrot cake for the kids. She got the recipe from Maria her Brazilian friend and business partner at the language school.
She puts all the ingredients into the blender and when she presses the button of the blender to turn it on, the dough begins to shake. But there is a problem. Tricia has just forgotten to chop the carrots into small pieces.
She’s been snowed under with work at the moment. She is tired. Besides being incredibly absent-minded and inattentive by nature. She reads the recipe and it is written: three medium sized carrots.
She always cooks listening to classical music. At this very moment she is listening “the Barber of Seville” by Rossini. She is absolutely delighted. It’s a wonderful piece of classical music.
Suddenly a burning smell comes from the blender. She thinks it is normal, because it must be a huge task for this little, delicate household appliance to blend all the ingredients until they become soft.

She just closes her eyes and keeps on her amazing journey to the world of the classical music. She hears a noise coming from the blender. It has burnt.
She had already pre-heated the oven before making the cake. She also forgot that. She decides to take the blender to repair.
She leaves home and is walking with the blender in her hands when she remembers she forgot to turn the oven off.
She thinks “It never rains but it pours”.
She heads back home. Luckily her hero Bill realized the oven was on while he was in the kitchen to grab some beers.
She comes into the kitchen and meets Bill. Here is the dialogue:
Bill: Dear, I’m afraid you’ve forgotten to turn the oven off. What happened? Where were you?
Tricia: Oh, dear. I was trying to make the Brazilian carrot cake that Maria taught me, when a smoke came out of the blender. And the blender stopped working. It burnt so, I thought of taking it to the repair shop. I was on the way of it when I remembered that I had forgotten to turn off the oven.
Bill: Didn’t you hear a noise?
Tricia: Yes, a strong one.
Bill: Were you listening to classical musical whilst you were cooking?
Tricia: Yes. I assume the blame. I was asleep at the wheel.
Bill: Dear, how many times I’ve told you to not listen to it while you cook? You get easily distracted by it. It’s dangerous.
Tricia: Yes, dear I can see now.
Bill: Now you can listen to Lacrimosa by Mozart. Don’t you think it suits well to the occasion?
Tricia: Honey, I’m already feeling like crying.
Bill: Don’t cry. I can make some pancakes for the children.
Tricia: Would you do that for me? Oh! What a lovely husband!
Bill: Dear. It’s not that. If we don’t give them something to eat in the next twenty minutes they are going to eat one of us or one of those little kittens fur ball or even Fluffy. They are starving! Get these snacks that I found in the cupboard and take to them while I make the pancakes.
Tricia: Right away, dear.
Bill: You see dear every cloud has a silver lining.
Bill, Tricia, Maria and Franco have been working hard since they opened the school. Now they are having a boarding meeting. Let’s see what these amazing creatures are talking:
Tricia: Well, this is our first meeting since we opened the school. Bill: Yes and I’m happy because we already made a profit after just a year of work! It’s absolutely brilliant, isn’t it? Now we have to focus on how to improve our courses or even the school structure. Have you got any ideas?
Maria: Well, we could buy more books to the library.
Bill: It’s a good idea, Maria. I like it.
Tricia: We could buy tablets to be used during the classes, we could hire a Chinese teacher, we could hire another English teacher, we could move to a bigger house and therefore we would have more rooms to offer other courses such as French, German and Russian.
Franco: Ecco! Chi è questa donna? Molto creativa! Senza dubbio! (Who is this woman! Very creative one! Without doubt!) Grazie a Dio tu non sei ma moglie, perche si hai la stessa creatività quando sale per fare acquisti... povero Bill...
Bill: What does it mean?
Franco: povero- poor
Bill: Would you mind translating the whole sentence for me, please?
Franco: Oh, come on! Who is this woman? A very creative one! Without doubt! Thanks God you are not my wife, because if you have the same creativity when you go shopping… poor Bill…
Bill: Oh, you don’t have the faintest idea about the matter. It’s a serious one.
Tricia: Dear, you are making a storm in teacup. It’s not like that. What are they going to think about me? I’m not a compulsive shopper. Besides when I go shopping is beyond necessity, it is therapeutic. Maria could you back me up here?
Maria: In your defense Tricia, I have to say that women love going shopping. I myself often go shopping.
Franco: Questo è vero! (This is true) but you don’t buy everything you see. You are a moderate shopper.
Bill: Tricia is like a hurricane. Whenever she goes shopping she comes back full of bags and with the same excuses: It was a real bargain! Everything was on sale! I had 50 % off on all articles!
Tricia: Are we here to talk about my shopping habits or about our language school? We cannot give up on a dream. Why can’t we have a Chinese, French, German and Russian teacher? Why do we have to think small?
Bill: You are right. Besides I’m accustomed to your crazy, lunatic shopping habits. I dare say I can’t live without them anymore. Your idea of getting bigger is great. We just have to find a good house or a building that fits to our plans. Maria, Franco what do you suggest?
Franco: Well, if we can dream we can have it. Tricia is right. We should offer more courses.
Maria: I agree with her. If we move to a bigger place, we hire more teachers of different languages. I think the challenge will be to find a perfect place that fits in our budget.
Tricia: I already have the place!
Bill: What?
Tricia: My uncle Bob has passed away and he left me his house. A big three-storey house.
Bill: Why didn’t you tell me before?
Tricia: My dear I wanted to make a surprise. Shall we go to see it?
Bill, Franco and Maria: Right away!
Everybody leaves the house in a great joy. We never should give up on our dreams.
Episódio de hoje: “Como aprender uma língua muito difícil”
Tricia has come up with a brilliant idea: to learn Russian by herself.
She cannot say that she’s making a wonderful progress; although she fairly understands that the Russian language is quite difficult to learn by oneself. Thus, she’s been listening to Russian songs on youtube in order to get used to the sound of the language.
However, she has been singing all day long very loudly wherever she goes. Her husband Bill is actually beginning to get worried about that.
Let’s see what is going to happen:
Tricia is sitting at her desk listening to a popular Russian folk song. She’s trying to sing along with the male singer but it’s virtually impossible not be out of tune, at least for a while.
Bill comes into the room and start to shout at her: For God’s sake, Tricia! Can’t you just stop for a minute? I can’t stand listening to this song anymore! You’ve been listening to it a hundred times so far! Have pity on my poor ears! You are completely out of tune!
Tricia: You don’t understand, my dear! I must learn it! It’s important to me!
Bill: Why on earth is it so important? Are you planning to move to Moscow?
Tricia: Perhaps.
Bill: What do you mean?
Tricia: Well, if I meet a polite Russian gentleman I’ll go to Moscow.
Bill: What!!! Are you using the first condition on purpose or just to tease me? Or Did you already meet a Russian man on the last days?
Tricia: Oh dear! Come on! Let me rephrase it: If I met a Russian gentleman, I’d go to Moscow! Second condition - supposition.

Bill: Assuming you’d met a Russian gentleman, you would have told me, wouldn’t you?
Tricia: Dear Lord! I can’t even play anymore. You are taking everything I say quite seriously! It’s absolutely priceless!

Bill: Tell me my dear. Do you manage to sing ochi chernye by heart?
Tricia: Of course, my dear. Would you like to hear?
Bill: Well, do I have any other option?
Tricia: I’m afraid not. It’s your only option.
Bill: ok! You can start! I’m all ears…
Tricia starts singing…
At the end of the song Bill says:
My dear, if you truly want to learn Russian, I think you should find a teacher. He is going to be of invaluable contribution to your development in the Russian language. Don’t worry about the price. I’ll pay everything. It’s a promise.

Tricia: I couldn’t agree more with you my love. Repetition is the key. You can go now. I need to keep listening to the song and singing along…
Bill leaves the room and says to himself:
Bill: God! The nightmare isn’t over!
MENSAGEM PATROCINADA Leia o e-book Aprendendo Idiomas por Conta Própria e conheça as técnicas utilizadas pelos Experts para aprender idiomas. Com ele você vai aprender a aprender inglês!

Baixar uma Amostra Grátis!
After reading Cinnamon’s and Artful’s posts, I decided to write my journey of learning English.

When I started studying English, I wasn’t exactly a teenager with a face full of pimples. On the contrary, I was in my late twenties. Seeing that I was “relatively old” for the task, I felt quite disheartened. Moreover, I wasn’t familiar with the ins and outs of the English language. I only had that wonderful bloody stupid English learnt in high school.

With all that in mind, I started learning English in a “magic school” (I’m being sarcastic here). What is a magic school? It’s a school that promises fluency within a short period of time or your money back. Great! Fantastic!

Researchers say that sarcasm is the highest form of wit. ;)

After five months, I genuinely felt like a tamed parrot. I realized I learnt by heart all the sentences, but I wanted more. I wasn’t learning. I was repeating sentences.

Thus I started looking for a traditional school. I took a placement test. They informed me I could enroll to Intermediate level. I personally think I managed to get on this level, because I used to listen to BBC world news service radio every day. I also studied a lot of grammar at home.

I remained there until I had passed all levels (four years and a half to be more precisely).I’m not a philosopher, though I believe that each one develops his own way of learning a language.

I haven’t written anything creative in a while. Hopefully I got this fresh inspiration from my friends’ posts.

Thank you very much!