Around the World in 80 Years - Travel Journal

Avatar do usuário Marcio_Farias 12350 1 22 206
You'd pronounce it /YAW--EYE-AY/ "yaw" as in "yawn," "i" as in letter "i," and "a" as in letter "a," but I concocted it. Don't expect to hear it anywhere else. ;)
So says this "English Expert" collaborator who might have traveled the world over, had he the cash to do it.
MENSAGEM PATROCINADA Para aprender mais sobre os Tempos Verbais baixe agora o: Guia Grátis de Tempos Verbais em Inglês. Ele contém um resumo bem estruturado para revisar os conceitos que você aprendeu na escola.

Clique aqui e saiba como baixar!
Avatar do usuário Frank Florida 210 5
@sandrom: Thanks man! ;) Yeah, some of the worst experiences often make for some of the funniest stories later... As for oDesk, they only withhold taxes if you're a US citizen.

Cheers!

~ Frank Florida ~
Hey Frank, congratulations for you initiative! Your stories and the way you live your life are GREAT!!!! It is really amazing!!! Keep it up! Last night I read you whole topic. Thank you for sharing it with us.
Hey Logan, thanks man! To be honest, I couldn't imagine living any other way anymore. ;) It's 5:33 am over here and I'm still up... my biorhythm is a bit out of whack!!

I'm staying at a condo in Cainta, in the East of Manila... and if you ever come here, I recommend you look somewhere else! It's a dirty, polluted part of the city, there is a factory right next to my condo, and wow... talk about dire working conditions! People say you don't want to be in jail in Mexico... well, trust me, you don't want to be in a factory in the Philippines. I don't think the building even has any windows... people work 13 hours a day, 29 days per month, for less than 100 dollars per month. It's really pretty grim out here... you can smell the factory even kilometers away and it covers all the buildings in some kind of dark, mucky coating... I'm sure just living in this part of Manila for a long time would reduce anyone's life expectancy. Even the rain is black and the smog blurs out the sun. :/

I still don't have a camera (I need to buy a smart phone at some point... So far I'm still resisting!) But I found this picture on Google images that can give you a rough idea:

Imagem

Fortunately, I'm only here for another 5 hours, then I'm moving to Rockwell. That's the exact opposite of Cainta... new buildings, modern malls, clean streets, healthy restaurants... Can't wait! I'm sure I'll be more productive over there as well.

Imagem

And you thought Brazil was the country of contrasts... well, it is, but I think out here the contrasts are even more extreme. God bless the internet! A chance for Filipinos to make a decent living online... they all speak English and so they can make a lot of money on the internet - several times more than they ever could in the local economy.
Hey Frank, I just got sad when I saw this first picture of Cainta and I would like to ask you what did you feel when you first arrive in this place?

Cainta looks like the "Favelas'' in Brazil. Do they even have paved roads? What about the food over there? What do you think about the people who live there ? Have you talked to someone from Cainta?

Best Regards.

Leone.
Yeah, Cainta is pretty grim... it can be really depressing to think about the people here.

But I think the favelas in Brazil are still better than the slums of Manila (they call them squatters, here)... favelas, at least, are mostly made of stone. Squatters often consist of much more makeshift huts, made of corrugated metal, wood and even plastic... and then, of course, pollution is a lot worse out here and salaries are a lot lower.

No... roads are not paved in those places. They usually eat rice... some don't even have enough money for vegetables or proteins. They just eat rice... hopefully three meals a day, though that's not to be taken for granted either in the Philippines. Some people eat the trash from fast food restaurants.

Yes, I have friends who have lived in these kinds of conditions. One of my best friends here is dating a girl from a squatter. When he met her, he showed her a map of the world and she asked him what it was. She had no idea. The interesting thing is that she wasn't down, or depressed, or anything. These people are true survivors. She can eat food that you might get sick from just looking at... and she's perfectly happy. My friend is sending her to school and paying for her education.

And that's really the key here. That's the way I look at that entire situation. I think education is the one thing that can make the difference for the Philippines, for Brazil, and for the entire planet and all humans as a species. Look... I have a friend here who works for one of the world's largest software companies, FROM HOME. She's making money on the internet... and lots of it. 30R$ per hour.

She's from here. The same girl might live in a squatter and work in a factory. But she speaks English and she knows how to use a computer... that's what made the difference for her, and so now she lives in a nice condo with a swimming pool, private gym, spa and roof top restaurant.

So I have two answers to your question... the first one is that education is never an expense. It's an investment. Anything you can do to improve yourself and to get smarter and to evolve is a step forward. I'm addicted to learning and developing myself, and that's the reason. Every time you learn something new, you can improve your life. I spend a lot of time studying.

The second part of your answer is that the world is a global economy now... and that means opportunity is going to become more equal on a global scale. That means more unemployment and lower salaries in Europe. It also means more opportunities and higher salaries in the Philippines. Eventually, it will all even out... but that might take a decade, or maybe even two or three. But that's the direction things are headed in now.

One of my assistants is a Filipina. And I really like the fact that I can help people in this country by giving them opportunities they wouldn't otherwise have. I think that's more valuable than donations... she's not getting a handout from me, like a beggar... no, she has a job, and she's very good at it, too. She can be proud of her contribution to society, and of the money she earns as well. I hope I will be in a position at some point where I can create much more employment, here and elsewhere.

I guess that was a bit of a rant, but I'm very passionate about this subject and it's one of the reasons why I'm doing the work that I'm doing. I hope that answers your question Leone, but feel free to let me know if you want me to clarify anything...

Best,
~ Frank Florida ~
Hi Frank. My name is Leticia and I am from Brazil.
I've worked on a cruise ship for 3 years, and before that I worked in a ski resort in Colorado and in restaurants in California. But that was when I was 21 to 27, now I am 31 and since then I haven't traveled anymore. When I started reading your posts which was 4 hours ago I couldn't stop reading them, and I now am still trying to know more about you.... My life is good right now, but always when I read topics like this I get totally taken by it and it makes me remember the good times when I used to travel from place to place.... either on the ship or when I was in the USA. You have just lit a flame inside of me that was out for while...
I will keep reading your posts and gather all the information because what I did is nothing compared to what you are doing now. My biggest dream is to go Indonesia, Thailand....I hope I can do it......
Hey Frank, thank you for you reply.

Regarding your last post, now I can see things over there are quite different than I thought. In fact, it is worse than I thought it would be. I had no idea about this situation in Manila, I really hope things get better from now and I also hope this people gather and find a way out to solve this problem concerning poverty very soon.

Man I have to tell you that you're totally right when you say that education is not a expense it is an investiment. I've been studying since my childhood and I still don't feel satisfied with what I got. I'm working on my English every single day because I don't feel confidence about my skills and as far as I know it's gonna make a great difference in my life and hopefully I can get fluent some day. For sure, many brazilian have the chance to make things better in a very easy way for their lives, however some teenagers don't even think about develop themselves by acquiring some special knowledge which will make them different than others.

That's why I keep on studying because I know it's going to change my life, it'll help me to make my parent's life easier, I will be able to help people a lot more.
lele0000 escreveu:Hi Frank. My name is Leticia and I am from Brazil.
I've worked on a cruise ship for 3 years, and before that I worked in a ski resort in Colorado and in restaurants in California. But that was when I was 21 to 27, now I am 31 and since then I haven't traveled anymore. When I started reading your posts which was 4 hours ago I couldn't stop reading them, and I now am still trying to know more about you.... My life is good right now, but always when I read topics like this I get totally taken by it and it makes me remember the good times when I used to travel from place to place.... either on the ship or when I was in the USA. You have just lit a flame inside of me that was out for while...
I will keep reading your posts and gather all the information because what I did is nothing compared to what you are doing now. My biggest dream is to go Indonesia, Thailand....I hope I can do it......

Hey Leticia, nice to meet a like-minded person! Which cruise ship were you working on? I was on the Sun Princess, it was the largest ship in the world at the time it was built and the remake of the TV Show "Love Boat" was shot there. There were people from over 70 different countries among the crew... but I always knew where to find the Brazilians! On the "Metal Beach", at the bow of the ship - the little swimming pool that was reserved for crew. It's a pretty amazing job! I saw all of the famous islands in the Pacific Ocean while I was working there... Hawaii, Bora Bora, Fiji, Samoa, Tahiti, the Cook Islands, and many more... it's really a dream job.

Imagem

Keep me posted on your trip to Indonesia and Thailand! I've spent about 4-5 months in each of those two countries and they're both absolutely amazing. I will go back there for sure... and by the way, your English is excellent. I'm absolutely sure that you can find work as an English teacher almost anywhere in the world, or even start working online - one of my blog posts was dedicated to that topic, check it out.
Logan18 escreveu:Man I have to tell you that you're totally right when you say that education is not a expense it is an investiment. I've been studying since my childhood and I still don't feel satisfied with what I got. I'm working on my English every single day because I don't feel confidence about my skills and as far as I know it's gonna make a great difference in my life and hopefully I can get fluent some day. For sure, many brazilian have the chance to make things better in a very easy way for their lives, however some teenagers don't even think about develop themselves by acquiring some special knowledge which will make them different than others.

That's why I keep on studying because I know it's going to change my life, it'll help me to make my parent's life easier, I will be able to help people a lot more.

We're on the same page here, Leone. I strongly feel it is our responsibility to make the world better, for ourselves and others. To educate ourselves and become successful, because that's the only way we will be able to help other people out. You can't help the poor and the uneducated by joining them!

Your English is pretty good already as well, but congratulations on not resting on your laurels, great that you keep pushing yourself to ever greater heights. I have been a teacher for about 18 years now, and unfortunately I can confirm your assessment... but I think students just need to be motivated and inspired properly. That's really all it takes... if someone has a strong enough reason to learn or achieve, he can do almost anything.

~ Frank Florida ~
MENSAGEM PATROCINADA Leia o e-book Aprendendo Idiomas por Conta Própria e conheça as técnicas utilizadas pelos Experts para aprender idiomas. Com ele você vai aprender a aprender inglês!

Baixar uma Amostra Grátis!
Hello Frank! How are you? Congratulations for your initiative, I am loving your posts!

Best Regards,

Rafaella