Around the World in 80 Years - Travel Journal

Avatar do usuário Frank Florida 210 5
Hey Rafaella, thanks for stopping by and thanks for the compliment! :)

Alright... so apparently, there are a few people who are a bit skeptical about this whole "Around the World" thing. Maybe I'm making it all up? ;) It would be easy enough to read some information about a country on Wikipedia, let your imagination run wild and write an article about it as if you had actually been there... then find some pictures on Google images and copy/paste, voilà, you are now a world traveler on the internet, all from the comfort of your mum's living room.

Sooo... some people have requested more pictures and videos, because seeing is believing. I guess that's fair... I think a healthy dose of skepticism has never hurt anyone, and before I started traveling I could hardly believe that this life style is even possible myself. I remember the first time I met someone who had been on the road for five years. Wow... it seemed so amazing. At the time, I still thought that I was going to travel for only one year and then go back home... but he was one of the first people who opened my eyes to the possibilities.

I actually met this guy in your home country Brazil - and I met him in Rio, in a hostel whose owner is now a good friend of mine. we were sharing the same dorm room and he told me his story. He was from Norway, and he had gotten himself a great education (there's the magic E-word again guys!). He had worked as a lawyer long enough to buy himself a small apartment and a cheap sail boat... these things are really not as expensive as you'd think, they can be cheaper than a car. He rented the apartment out and lived on his boat. So now he didn't have to pay rent anymore... and the money he got from his tenant was enough to pay for food and the basic cost of maintaining the boat. And so he retired at the age of 28 and started traveling the world. As far as I know, he's still traveling... He must have been out there for about 16 or 17 years now. :)

And that's the whole thing... as Henry Ford once said - whether you believe that you can't or that you can, either way, you're right. If you believe that learning English is going to take five years, it probably will. If you believe you can do it in a few months, you can. If you believe you have to stay at home all your life and work hard just to pay the bills, that is going to be your reality. And if you believe that you can travel the world even though you don't have the money yet, you can do that too. "What the human mind can CONCEIVE and BELIEVE, it can ACHIEVE" - one of my favorite quotes by Napoleon Hill.

Napoleon Hill once asked the audience at a speech he was giving: "How many times do you think the average person tries and fails before they give up forever?" Someone in the audience yelled back at him: Once? And laughter erupted. But Napoleon Hill yelled back at his listeners: "Once? Don't you think you're GENEROUS? How many people give up before they try even once... because they already know it's impossible." And one of the stories he tells during his speech is about the time the Wright Brothers made their first flight... and not a single journalist came to observe one of the greatest feats of the century, because they all KNEW it was impossible to fly! (Yeah I know that Brazil has a claim to the first flight in history too. ;))

In any case... guys - please be skeptical, that's fair. But believe me... this is not impossible. You can have anything you want in life, if you are willing to figure out how to get it, work hard and pay the price. Anyhow, I just shot another video, in a different part of Manila - hope you like it. I shot it up in my condo, and it's a bit dark at the end - I'm still figuring out this whole video thing. :? But I'm going to shoot one on the ground soon too... maybe I'll show you the famous Filipino Jeepneys. In fact, I think it would be pretty cool to shoot videos more often from now on... why not? They're kinda fun to make. 8-)

Anyhow - as always, feel free to ask any question you might have. I'm here to help if you want to start traveling as well - and if you're going somewhere I've been before, I'll have practical advice as well. So don't be shy, hit reply and stay in touch!

Cheers guys, my best to you all...
~ Frank Florida ~
Hey guys, I just came across a really interesting documentary... it's called

"The toughest place to be a bus driver"

In this documentary, a bus driver from London works here in Manila for 10 days, and drives one of the local buses... the so-called Jeepneys. They were designed in World War II, but most people here are still using them. A ticket usually costs about 0.35 R$.

It's pretty fascinating to see the difference between London and Manila... and I think you might find some of this documentary quite shocking. The Philippines are really pretty far out... despite all the traveling I've done, I've seen some things here that really rattled me.

I'll try to make another video for ya in the next couple of days, maybe I can catch a Jeepney on camera as well...

MENSAGEM PATROCINADA Para aprender mais sobre os Tempos Verbais baixe agora o: Guia Grátis de Tempos Verbais em Inglês. Ele contém um resumo bem estruturado para revisar os conceitos que você aprendeu na escola.

Clique aqui e saiba como baixar!
Avatar do usuário sandrom 615 3 10
Hey Frank,

Have you ever met a family (with or without children) which lives "on the road"?

cheers

Sandro
Yes I have! The Malinoskys... I met them in Potosí in Bolívia, many years ago, and we're still in touch. They have actually published a book on how to live on the road with a family, check it out:

http://www.amazon.com/Bring-Your-Own-Ch ... n+children

And guess where I am today! ;)

Avatar do usuário Lucas PAYNE 260 7
Hi, how are you Frank?

I've been following all your post's about his journey in this giant ball we call earth.
I was very motivated because I'm prepared to do something like this, I will relinquish the office and be free, because I believe not having better feeling than being free to come and go and do the things you want to do without feeling trapped.
My hobie is to learn languages, ​​besides Portuguese and English I also speak a little German and Italian.
I want to learn multiple languages​​, know places, make friends, have experience working in all areas possible to learn to appreciate the things that I have and get a little more dignity and humility because it ennobles the man.

Frank ,I would like to ask you.
I'm Brazilian citizen, but I have European citizenship, do you believe it can benefit me in some way, to live, work, study and facilitate entry in some other countries outside the European Union?

Thanks for all. :D
Hey Frank,

Looking forward to read some news about your travel, I think everybody`s missing your stories.

I hope you get that as soon as possible.

See you,

Leone.
@Lucas, cool stuff... so you will be joining us on the road, eh? What's your plan, when are you taking off and where are you going? The answer to your question by the way is yes... a European passport will absolutely be useful to you. First of all, you can work, study, live and roam free in all of Europe... but second, several European countries have territories outside of Europe. And even beyond that, a European passport is pretty strong in most places, I don't think there are any countries that would turn a European citizen away... sure, some require you to have a visa but that's usually just a formality. Oh and did you read about the working holiday program? I think I posted about that on the blog... tons and tons of opportunities there for people with a European passport:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Working_holiday

@Logan... yeah, I actually haven't been traveling at all these past 15 days, I just stayed in Manila... but I'm about to embark on THE biggest trip I've done in a year, in 30 hours and 40 minutes I will be heading to Narita airport (which incidentally, has been rated the worst airport in the world lol... instead of clocks, they have advertisements up :) )... and from there, I'm flying to the USA. I'll be spending a few days in Arizona and then meet Adir Ferreira of the English Experts team in California, so we're going to rock San Francisco and shoot some videos for ya! ;)

Cheers and I'll be back here soon!
~ Frank Florida ~
Hey Frank, it is good to find you here again posting your news about your journey. I'm starting to think that your way of living is great but I don't know if I would be able to handle it as you do. Well, I'm in the office right now dealing with a lot of reports and sometimes I feel like I'm stuck in a cage when I read your post about travelling and stuff like that. I have decided that from now on I will be saving some money for an exchange next year in some place that has English as native language. Here in the office the most of people have a good proficiency in English and it usually make them different than others, for instance they have the better opportunities to get a promotion and rise of salary.

I hope you really enjoy your next trip and get along with Adir. Oh before I forget, I'm following your English course through email I'm really enjoying it and using your tips to improve my English.

Thank you so much for that.

See you.
Hey Logan,

Logan18 escreveu:Hey Frank, it is good to find you here again posting your news about your journey.

Cool... yeah, I'll have another Around The World blog post going live this week as well, and it's going to be one with video! I think you guys are going to enjoy that one. ;)

And congratulations on making a decision man... that's the toughest thing to do. Once you have a definitive date, the entire idea is suddenly VERY REAL! And that can be a huge motivator as well.

Oh before I forget, I'm following your English course through email I'm really enjoying it and using your tips to improve my English.

Thank you so much for that.

That's great to hear man, and thank you for the feedback! I've put a lot of work into that course and it always makes my day when I hear that someone is getting a lot out of it!

Talk soon and I'll see you on the road! 8-)

~ Frank Florida ~
MENSAGEM PATROCINADA Leia o e-book Aprendendo Idiomas por Conta Própria e conheça as técnicas utilizadas pelos Experts para aprender idiomas. Com ele você vai aprender a aprender inglês!

Baixar uma Amostra Grátis!
Avatar do usuário sandrom 615 3 10
Hey Frank,

I´m glad do hear from you again.

What Logan said is really true. With rare exceptions, work days can be repetitive and become a terrible routine. Your posts help to move our minds towards an alternative and possible style of life.

I wish you enjoy your biggest trip of the year and the worst airport in the world. I hope you can take some photos or film the place to share this experience with us.

And have a nice trip to Arizona. I have never been there but I have good memories of my last travel to the United States, when I stayed in New York and New Jersey with some friends.

I´m looking forward to hearing the next post.

cheers

Sandro