Around the World in 80 Years - Travel Journal

Avatar do usuário Frank Florida 210 5
Yooo!! Thanks Sandro, and a shoutout to all friends of EE... Guys, I'm in California and loving it... after a week in Arizona I headed over to San Francisco and I decided I could easily live there for a couple of months, what an incredible city!! I know, I always go somewhere and then say it's incredible, but trust me there are some places I don't like that much... :shock: I've simply learned to make better choices over the years... and San Francisco is an AMAZING choice.

I arrived in the morning of October 30th, when Halloween and the Giants Parade fell on the same day... that was pretty cool. Fortunately I have some friends in SF, so one of them took me into the head quarters of a giant multi-billion dollar a year tech start-up... apparently that area has so much money (and is so expensive) that even bus drivers get paid about 200,000 R$ per year! But renting a little apartment can also run you about 5,000 R$ per month, so that's a factor... :?

Most of the time, I was hanging out with Adir as you may have seen on the blog, and I think as usual I was being a very bad influence and infected him some more with the travel bug. :twisted: On both evenings we went to live music bars and Adir grabbed the mic both evenings (no it was not open mic, but Adir is not a shy guy!)... and let me tell you, that guy can sing! He's actually starting to get more famous as a singer than as a teacher in his city...

After that, I went to visit some family friends in Orange County, and we went to the inauguration of a HUGE new church on Sunday morning... It was pretty unbelievable what a professional presentation they had put together. There were 1800 people and they had some pretty amazing musicians on stage... somehow, everything in the US seems to be... a little... bigger. Bigger cars, bigger streets, bigger meals, bigger churches...

Now I'm staying at a friend's place near San Diego, waiting for him to come back from a deployment. He's a pilot and stationed in Afghanistan at the moment, and his camp got attacked the other day and a group of 20 Taliban insurgents dressed in American uniforms started shooting at Pakistani civilians... but fortunately they managed to contain the situation and my friend is fine. That was a shock when he told me on the phone... I guess it puts things in perspective when I complain about the little things that bother me every day, such as the ridiculous bureaucracy in California... at least I don't have anyone shooting at me!

So I'll be here for a couple of weeks until he gets back... we'll have a huge celebration for his homecoming in San Diego, and after that I'm heading to Los Angeles and then back to Asia. My trip to Brazil is postponed to 2013, it seems... but it's still coming up. I hope all is well with you guys, and feel free to shoot me a private message if you're in the area, I'm always open to making new friends!

Cheers,

~ Frank Florida ~
Avatar do usuário Flavia.lm 3835 1 9 85
If you’re alive, you can’t be bored in San Francisco. If you’re not alive, San Francisco will bring you to life.
William Saroyan
MENSAGEM PATROCINADA Faça um teste de inglês e descubra seu nível em 15 minutos! Este teste foi desenvolvido por professores e linguistas certificados. O resultado sai na hora e com gabarito.

Clique aqui para iniciar o Teste Online!
Hehe true dat, Flávia... true dat! 8-)

Frank
Avatar do usuário felipeh6 2150 7 52
Hey Frank, I hope you're fine!

Maybe you've already replied that and I've missed it, but my question is, have you ever had a troubled or dangerous situation? Have you already met a dangerous person or a person with bad intentions?

Thanks for your attention.

Best Regards!

:|
Hey felipeh, what's up?

Sorry for the late response, I got totally burried in work the past 2-3 months! I'm finally back now and just wrote another blog post... so I'll be on the forum more frequently again as well.

That's a great question... You know what, I think that's actually worthy of being answered on the blog as well. The answer is definitely... and there are a couple of places that I probably won't ever go to again just because the risk isn't worth it.

More about that soon... But for now I'm back in South East Asia, where people don't even lock their doors because the crime rate is so low. 8-)

I really enjoyed my time in Arizona and California, but when my plane touched down at the airport in Laos, I felt awesome. This part of the world is much more free than the West in many ways. In American airports, you often get treated like a potential terrorist these days, even if you're well dressed and your slate is squeaky clean. Whereas most custom officials in Asia greet your with a friendly smile and wave you through.

Oh well, such is life... Stay in touch and we'll talk soon!

~ Frank Florida ~

felipeh6 escreveu:Hey Frank, I hope you're fine!

Maybe you've already replied that and I've missed it, but my question is, have you ever had a troubled or dangerous situation? Have you already met a dangerous person or a person with bad intentions?

Thanks for your attention.

Best Regards!

:|
Frank Florida escreveu:
(...) I'm finally back now and just wrote another blog post... so I'll be on the forum more frequently again as well.

Yeahh!!! Frank is back!

A fresh-out-of-the oven post to the "Around the World in 80 Years" section is just around the corner!!! Looking forward to reading it! ;)

Living around the world.. That's an exciting way to hold a life!!!

Thnaks for sharing it with us Frank!
Thanks for the friendly post, mate... It's good to be back.
Living around the world.. That's an exciting way to hold a life!!!

Yeah you know to be honest, I couldn't imagine life any other way anymore. I just saw a movie last night about two guys who go to Asia on a vacation... And of course at the end of the movie, they have to go back home, back to a cold country, and back to the routine of going to the same office every day... The good news is, that's really not necessary anymore in 2013. ;) It takes a lot of work and dedication to create a location independent life style, but for people who enjoy their freedom and who like to travel, it's probably one of the most worthwhile pursuits, IMO.

Cheers bro!
~ Frank Florida ~
Yo!

I guess it's time for a little update... after the last post, I spent a couple of weeks in Oceanside and San Francisco, and then took a train to LA and from there, a plane to Asia. San Diego is just as amazing as San Francisco... I highly recommend it. It's not as huge and polluted as many other big cities, it has a very nice and relaxed vibe and it's right at the beach... One of my top choices for a place to live in the US for sure. (Scottsdale was fantastic too, by the way... I would never live up North, but Cali and Arizona are just awesome).

Next I took a plane to China... And it was freezing cold over there lol. I still remember cold weather from years ago, from when I first started traveling... I've always dodged the winter since then, switching hemispheres at the appropriate time. :) And one thing I found out about China... outside of some cosmopolitan centers, nobody speaks any English whatsoever. Even the staff at the airport tourist information uses Google translate to communicate with Westerners. :? Haha

I tried to order a hot Capuccino against the cold, and instead I got an iced Capuccino... Mandarin skills fail lol.

Anyway, it didn't take long for me to get tired of the cold and hop on the next plane back to South East Asia. I might do a proper tour of China in the summer time some day... But the moment I stepped off the plane in Laos, I took a deep breath and felt free... warm weather, friendly people, very affordable prices and great food. Laos is amazing... The internet isn't the best because it's not really all that developed yet, but it's a fantastic place to just get away from it all for a while.

After that I headed back to Chiang Mai, which is probably among my top 10 cities in the world at this point... and around Christmas, most of my students asked me to take a week off from studying so hard and so I took the chance to explore some of the places in Thailand that I hadn't been to yet. Krabi, Ao Nang, Phuket, and Samui. It always felt a bit weird being in Thailand without having ever seen the most famous beaches of the South! The movie "The Beach" actually takes place just north of Samui, but AFAIK it was shot on the island Ko Phi Phi, just south of Phuket.

There's probably a lot more I could write about the past two months... in fact I wouldn't even be sure where to start ha. But I'll leave it at that for the moment... I think I'll spend a good chunk of this year in Thailand, and then head back to Latin America towards the end of 2013... Brazil is on the agenda for this year as well.

Let's see where the wind takes me... ;)

Cheers,

~ Frank Florida ~
Avatar do usuário sandrom 615 3 10
Hey Frank,

I missed your posts. You talk about my favorites things: travelling and languages.

Some friends in China say exactly this. It´s very difficult to find someone who speaks English. Only in Shanghai you have more people speaking English more naturally. Even chinese languages are hard to understand in some places of China, but it´s a place I really want to know.

When you talk about friedly people in Asian I think that´s the correct way to live. We have to know how to balance a busy way of working and a friendly way of living in order to avoid the chaos in our modern society.

Thanks for sharing your experiences. Enjoy your time there and then in South America.

cheers

Sandro
MENSAGEM PATROCINADA Há quanto tempo você estuda inglês? Já passou por sua cabeça que você pode estar estudando de uma forma que dá pouco ou quase nenhum resultado? Que tal fazer um intensivo de inglês de 180 dias e recuperar o tempo perdido? Em 6 meses você pode elevar o seu inglês a um novo patamar.

Clique aqui para conhecer o curso!
Avatar do usuário Lucas PAYNE 260 7
Hello Mr. Frank how's it going?

I don't know if someone asked it before but I'll do it right now.
You are aways trevelling that's the reason that I would like to know how big is your suitcase?
'Cause you are working and travelling and of course you're visiting very cheap countries with a lot of interesting things to buy.

HaHa Let us know how big and how many bags do you have?