Artistic Writing and Grammar

josneywat 6
Artistic writing does not always conform to correct grammar rules, and commonly we see things that are not necessarily correct or used in our daily lives.
For example, let's analyze the song UN-BREAK MY HEART, lyrics and music by Diane Warren, and sung with a great success by Tony Braxton.

Don't leave me in all this pain
Don't leave me out in the rain
Come back and bring back my smile
Come and take these tears away
I need your arms to hold me now
The nights are so unkind
Bring back those nights when I held you besides me.

Un-break my heart
Say you'll love me again
Undo this hurt you caused
When you walked out the door
And walked outta my life
Un-cry these tears
I cried so many nights
Un-break my heart
My heart.

Take back that sad word good-bye
Bring back the joy with these tears
Come and kiss this pain away
I can't forget the day you left
Time is so unkind
And life is so cruel without you here beside me

Un-break my heart
Say you'll love me again
And walked outta my life
Un-cry these tears
I cried so many nights
Un-break my heart
My heart.

Don't leave in all this pain
Don't leave me out in the rain
Bring back the nights when I held you beside me

Un-break my heart
Say you'll love me again
And walked outta my life
Un-cry these tears
I cried so many, many nights
Un-break my

Un-break my heart
Come back, and say you love me
Un-break my heart
Sweet darling
Without you I just can't go on
Cant' go on.

Very well, if you read it carefully you will have noticed a few grammar liberties, and the use of PREFIX. What is a prefix? It is a group of letters or a single letter added at the beginning of a word in order to make a new word, such as, circular, semi-circular; happy, unhappy.

In this particular song, the prefix most used in 'UN'. A prefix meaning 'not,' freely used as an English formative giving negative or opposite force in adjectives and their derivative adverbs and nouns (unfair, unfairly), and less freely used in certain other nouns (unrest, unemployment).

Prefixes: the most common are: a, anti, auto, bi, co, counter, de, dis, eco, ex, extra, hyper, il, in, ir, inter, kilo, mal, mega, micro, mid, milli, mini, mis, mono, multi, neo, non, out, over, part, poly, post, pre, pro, pseudo, re, semi, sub, super, tri, ultra, un, under.

So, how many words with prefix can you find in this particular song? Can you define them? What about the word OUTTA found in this song? What is its meaning? Is it correct?

ENTENDENDO AS HORAS EM INGLÊS
Nesta aula, a professora Camila Oliveira ensina vários macetes para você nunca mais se confundir na hora de dizer as horas em inglês. ACESSAR AULA
1 resposta
Marcio_Farias 1 24 214
josneywat escreveu:So, how many words with prefix can you find in this particular song? Can you define them? What about the word OUTTA found in this song? What is its meaning? Is it correct?
I can see two hyphen-prefixed words. By "un-break" the singer most likely means "mend." By "un-cry" he most likely means "not to cry." The word outta appears as a preposition combination quickly pronounced as one syllable.