BETTER THAN A DREAM - Mike Batt

Ricardo F. Bernardi 6 26 454
Michael Philip Batt is an English singer-songwriter, arranger and also the former Deputy Chairman of the British Phonographic Industry. He was born on February 6th, 1949, in Southampton, Hampshire. He started his career in 1967 and achieved international success as a solo artist, specialy for conducting many of the world's great orchestras, including the London Symphony, Royal Philharmonic, London Philharmonic, Sydney Symphony and Stuttgart Philharmonic in both classical and pop recordings and performances.

He was appointed Lieutenant of the Royal Victorian Order (LVO) in the 2013 Birthday Honours for services to the Royal Household.
The song Batter than a dream was composed and interpreted by Batt. It was released on October 9th, 1990 as the theme tune to The Dreamstone series. The song was later covered by Katie Melua - who Batt manages - and released on her fifth studio album Secret Symphony on March 9th, 2012.
BETTER THAN A DREAM (Original version) MELHOR DO QUE UM SONHO (Versão original)
I used to dream myself to somewhere else each night Eu costumava sonhar comigo mesmo em outro lugar a cada noite
I dreamed in colour, cause I lived in black and white Eu sonhava pra valer porque eu vivia de maneira muito simples
Until I chanced upon this road that led to you Até eu me deparar com esta estrada que levava a você
I could not see... How anything could be Eu não conseguia enxergar... Como tudo poderia ser
Better than a dream Melhor do que um sonho
Stranger than my wild imagination Mais estranho do que minha imaginação fértil
If this is a real sensation, it's better than a dream Se isto é uma sensação de verdade, é melhor do que um sonho
Higher than the moon Mais alta que a lua
Hazy like a beautiful illusion Confusa tal qual uma bela ilusão
Crazy and in confusion Insana e em confusão
And better than a dream E melhor do que um sonho
I used to wish I was beyond some distant door Eu costumava querer estar além de uma porta distante
I knew there must be more to life, and now I'm sure Eu sabia que deveria haver mais na vida, e agora, tenho certeza
No dreams of pirate caves, or Indian braves Nenhum sonho de cavernas de piratas, ou destemidos indianos
Or magic carpets could ever be this good Ou tapetes mágicos poderia ser tão bom um dia
Repeat chorus Repita o refrão
Higher than the moon Mais alto que a lua
Hazy like a beautiful illusion Vaga tal qual uma bela ilusão
Crazy and in cofusion Insana e em confusão
And better than a dream E melhor do que um sonho
The Dreamstone series was broadcasted by ITV Network (CITV) from September 25th 1990 to March 28th 1995. The series is set in an alternative world called "The Land of Dreams", and concerns itself principally with the struggle between good and evil. The Dream Maker (O Senhor dos Sonhos) is responsible to protect people against Zordrak's evil powers. The Dream Maker is the guardian of the most precious and powerful treasure in the world - The Dreamstone (A Pedra dos Sonhos) - which he uses to send out dream to the people and protects them from the nightmares. He is not alone in his journey since he is assisted by Albert, his watchdog-fish and the two friends, Rufus and Amberley (Ambalina). On the other hand, Zordrak, Lord of Nightmares hatches his evil plots to steal the Dreamstone so the evil may rule. He is protected by Sergeant Blob (Sargento Verruga) and the other Urpneys - who basically resemble lizard-like human beings except for the large bulbous nose and pointy tails.

The Brazilian Portuguese version of the song Better than a dream was interpreted by Nil Bernardes in the late '90s.
Brazilian Portuguese version (TV series) English translation (Série televisiva)
Eu durmo e sempre sonho que posso voar I sleep and always dream that I can fly
Tão colorido é esse meu outro lugar So colorful is my other place
Em branco e preto eu não gosto de viver In black and white, I don't enjoy to live
Eu quero um mundo colorido ver I want to see a lively world
Viver sem sonhar, eu já não consigo imaginar Living without dreaming, I can no longer imagine
Como seria a vida para mim How life would be for me
A lua lá no céu é uma ilusão muito bonita The moon, so high, in the sky is a very beautiful illusion
Vivendo essa ilusão meus sonhos não têm fim Living this illusion, my dreams are unlimited
A lua lá no céu é uma ilusão muito bonita The moon, so high, in the sky is a very beautiful illusion
Vivendo essa ilusão meus sonhos não têm fim Living this illusion, my dreams are eternal
REFERENCES:

(1) Mike Batt - Official Web Site.

(2) STOCKFORD, Tara. Tidy Bag - Remembering the Wombles. In: Mike Batt receives honour for services to the Queen. June 15th, 2013.

(3) BEDI, POOJA. The Times of India. In: Do you live in black and white or in color?. March 16th, 2014.

Sabe a resposta? Seja um colaborador(a)! Ao responder questões no English Experts você ganha pontos de Reputação. Se você atua na área de idiomas, suas participações na comunidade podem ser uma ótima vitrine para o seu trabalho.

Registre-se agora e faça parte!
Colabore