"Call up" vs. "Call up" on the phone

Marcio_Farias 12585 1 23 212
Does this sentence really need the "on the phone" part? Most phrasal verb dictionaries give "call up" but don't list the "on the phone" part. How do ESL learners expect to learn English this way? ;)

"I'll call Antônio up on the phone and tell him to go there ASAP"
Cambly Brasil - Mensagem Patrocinada Você tem medo de falar inglês? - Se você já estudou inglês mas ainda se sente inseguro(a) saiba que o primeiro passo é se expor ao idioma. Converse grátis por 15 minutos com um professor de inglês nativo, você vai se surpreender o quanto isso pode fazer a diferença.

Começar agora!
4 respostas
Ordenar por: Data
Flavia.lm 4085 1 10 93
Márcio

Minha primeira impressão foi pensar que 'on the phone' seria redundância. Mas lembrei que 'call' tb significa 'chamar', e por isso talvez o 'on the phone' seja necessário às vezes.

Estamos num prédio, no térreo. Vou subir para o 18º andar. Digo: Márcio, please call me up when the taxi arrives.
Como vc me 'chamaria'? Gritando na direção da janela do 18º? (rs)
You'd better call me up on the phone, don't you think?
(não sei se isso faz sentido, foi apenas uma possibilidade que imaginei..........)

Outra dúvida. Qdo usamos MSN, normalmente 'chamamos' as pessoas para conversar. Como eu diria, por exemplo:

Please ________________ on MSN when you arrive home.
Marcio_Farias 12585 1 23 212
Perhaps colloquially, it might have made sense, for example, if someone on the 18th floor motioned you up or gestured you to come upstairs to the 18th floor. For one to call out to you when you stood down there on the pavement on a busy street, he or she might have a thunderous loud voice so he or she might make himself or herself heard. Try doing that on Paulista Ave. on a busy day!

So, ok, I feel inclined to accept the verb with the "on the phone" part as naturally as one breathes oxygen.

Best regards, Cheers! and Toodle-oo!

"Please come on MSN when you arrive..." Does that sound right/acceptable etc.?
Flavia.lm 4085 1 10 93
Márcio

I work at Paulista av (I guess you knew that). 16th floor, old bulding, no acoustic soundproof. Most of the buldings around here have radio antennas (que distribuem o sinal das principais rádios pra cidade) and sometimes there are some 'celebrities' there. The one on the bulding next to mine is Metropolitana, a radio that plays songs that I don't like (I have nothing against people who like this radio, ok folks?). Sometimes (actually, very often) there are thousands of teenagers around the block shouting "NX Zero!!! NX Zero!!!!" and I can hear them perfectly here from the 16th :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: When "Priscila BBB" and "Dani Paniquete" were autographing Playboys in the newsstand right in front of the building where I work I could also hear the men's euphoria down there on the avenue...

I don't think "Please come on MSN..." would mean the same as "Por favor me chama no MSN..."
Henry Cunha 10210 3 16 182
Marcio, I can see how in an isolated sentence you'd use "on the phone" to clarify by what means one is being called. In casual conversation, from the circumstances you'd know whether "Give him a shout/call" or "Call him" means get on the phone or just go and give a yell to someone who is outdoors, etc. "To call up" doesn't automatically mean a phone call. In fact, for an American 18-year old "to be called up" meant that Uncle Sam wanted your services for a couple of years. (The call came by letter.) Just as you can "call up" to someone (who is upstairs), you can also "call down" to someone who is below you physically. And you can also be "called up" to the executive offices, or you can be "called down" to head office -- it all depends on the physical (and mental) relationships that you and others hold in common.

I could go on but there's no call for it, I don't think...