Can you live without your cell phone?

Regras do fórum

Practice English here, messages in Portuguese are not allowed.
Avatar do usuário Flavia.lm 3885 1 9 86
Flavia.lm escreveu:(...)

- Absolutely. By the way I hate it when it rings more than two times a day.

(...)

"Two times", Ms. Flavia? "Twice" sounds way better!

(Just as well I re-read all forum messages...)

Mr. Slayman: how come you didn't notice?
MENSAGEM PATROCINADA Faça um teste de inglês e descubra seu nível em 15 minutos! Este teste foi desenvolvido por professores e linguistas certificados. O resultado sai na hora e com gabarito.

Clique aqui para iniciar o Teste Online!
Definitely I can't live without it. I have to use it at work. Even more now, my little daugther was born, so I call my wife all day long wherever I am.
No, I can not. Although I hate it, cell phone is a necessary evil. I have to carry it wherever I go, in order to be found specially by my family or to help me whenever I need. Actually, my cell phone started having problems, by losing signal time to time, what is making me feel extremely apprehensive when it happens. :roll: :roll:
Avatar do usuário RenanKenplers 55 1
It's been an effing while since the last time I bought a cell phone, though I could redirect it to my smartphone, which I cannot deffo live without. But I've been experiencing a tough time without it as I'm having it fixed. Wish this episode was straight off but it takes a while ):

NOT GOOD D:
Flavia.lm escreveu:
Flavia.lm escreveu:(...)

- Absolutely. By the way I hate it when it rings more than two times a day.

(...)

"Two times", Ms. Flavia? "Twice" sounds way better!

(Just as well I re-read all forum messages...)

Mr. Slayman: how come you didn't notice?

Flavia,

"Two Times" versus "Twice", both are correct and I would be hard pressed to defend one over the other, but you are right twice does "sound" a little better if you are using British English, however on the other hand two times "sounds" a little better to an American. While we are on this subject how about thrice?
Avatar do usuário Flavia.lm 3885 1 9 86
w.slayman escreveu:Flavia,

"Two Times" versus "Twice", both are correct and I would be hard pressed to defend one over the other, but you are right twice does "sound" a little better if you are using British English, however on the other hand two times "sounds" a little better to an American. While we are on this subject how about thrice?

Really? :? :cry: :? :cry: :? :cry: :?
ailime escreveu:No, I can not. Although I hate it, cell phone is a necessary evil. I have to carry it wherever I go, in order to be found specially by my family or to help me whenever I need. Actually, my cell phone started having problems, by losing signal time to time, what is making me feel extremely apprehensive when it happens. :roll: :roll:

Ailime,

Please let me know what you think about this:

"No, I can not. Although I hate it, a cell phone is a necessary evil. I have to carry it wherever I go, in order to be located, especially by my family or to summon help whenever I need it. Actually, my cell phone started having problems, by losing the tower signal from time to time, which makes me extremely apprehensive. :roll: :roll: "

Look up the difference between specially and especially

I especially like your use of the word apprehensive in this contex.
Flavia.lm escreveu:
w.slayman escreveu:Flavia,

"Two Times" versus "Twice", both are correct and I would be hard pressed to defend one over the other, but you are right twice does "sound" a little better if you are using British English, however, on the other hand two times "sounds" a little better to an American. While we are on this subject how about thrice?

Really? :? :cry: :? :cry: :? :cry: :?

Flavia,

I double checked with a friend of mind who has a PHD in English, and is a full professor of English at a university here, he agrees with my discription of the differences. He also said that he could not fault a graduate English student for using either, or even both in different parts of a paper.

Thrice and three times are also interchangable and equally correct, however thrice is somewhat archiac and stilted, especially in American English. ;)

A most enlightening discussion indeed. :D
I can't live without it cause its the only way that I have to be connected with my friends and my musics.
MENSAGEM PATROCINADA Há quanto tempo você estuda inglês? Já passou por sua cabeça que você pode estar estudando de uma forma que dá pouco ou quase nenhum resultado? Que tal fazer um intensivo de inglês de 180 dias e recuperar o tempo perdido? Em 6 meses você pode elevar o seu inglês a um novo patamar.

Clique aqui para conhecer o curso!
thiagogothai escreveu:I can't live without it cause its the only way that I have to be connected with my friends and my musics.

Thiago,

If you do not mind I would like to suggest two minor changes to your post. Please use because instead of the slang cause, and the word my before music is redundant.

Thank you for letting me try to help you with your English.