Como dizer "a velha máxima" em inglês

Pessoal, como eu poderia dizer:
"Em tempos dificeis, a velha máxima 'mais vale um pássaro na mão do que dois voando' se aplica bem" ?

POWER QUESTIONS
O professor das celebridades Daniel Bonatti ensina várias técnicas para você ter conversas melhores mesmo com conhecimentos básicos de inglês. Com as power questions você vai aprender a direcionar a conversa para onde quiser e com isso alcançar seus objetivos na comunicação. ACESSAR AULA
7 respostas
Ordenar por: Data
  Resposta mais votada
19 293
In such difficult times, the old saying "a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush" comes in really handy.
COMO COMBINAR PALAVRAS EM INGLÊS
Nesta aula, o professor Denilso de Lima, autor do livro "Combinando Palavras em Inglês", ensina como as collocations (combinações de palavras) podem ajudar você a falar inglês com mais naturalidade. ACESSAR AULA
6 26 454
Cf.: How to say "a velha máxima" in English?

1) In such rough times, the old rule wouldn't be 'A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush'?
>> Em tempos difíceis, a velha máxima seria 'mais vale um pássaro na mão do que dois voando'?

2) That same old rule 'when you don't know where to go, you better stay where you are'.
>> Aquela velha máxima 'quando não se sabe para onde ir, melhor ficar onde está'.
6 49 1.3k
My two cent's worth:
In difficult times (like these) the old adage "a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush" couldn't be more pertinent.

In difficult times, it's valuable to keep in mind the old maxim/old saying "a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush".

In (such) difficult times the old adage fits well here: a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.

In (such) difficult times we can't argue that the proverbial bird in the hand is on the safe side, and it's better be safe than sorry! ;-)

The proverbial truth from the folk wisdom really comes in handy in such times...
3 15 131
My suggestion:
Em tempos dificeis, a velha máxima "mais vale um pássaro na mão do que dois voando" se aplica bem?

In difficult times does the old maxim " a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush apply?"

Bye!
6 49 1.3k
Congrats Breck and Ricardo, I failed to see it was supposed to be a question! :-)
CENTENAS DE EXPRESSÕES DO INGLÊS
Preparamos um plano de estudos para ajudar você a dominar centenas de palavras e expressões do inglês em tempo recorde. EXPERIMENTE AGORA
19 293
Paulo,

I don't think so, you got it right. The question mark comes after he had already finished the sentence in quotes. It's connected to "how could I say", not to the sentence he wanted us to translate into English.
6 49 1.3k
Makes a whale of a sense, thanks for getting me back on track, Leo. The asker get the two ways, so he gets more than he had bargained for! :-)