Como dizer "Abandonar um hábito" em inglês

Simon Vasconcelos 11 221
To go cold-turkey

Singleton went cold-turkey, experienced an epileptic fit and was hospitalised for several months. The Guardian

MELHORE SUA PRONÚNCIA EM INGLÊS
Nesta aula, o professor Adir Ferreira, autor do livro "A Chave do Aprendizado da Língua Inglesa", nos conta como se tornou um Expert em pronúncia e dá várias dicas para você se comunicar melhor em inglês. ACESSAR AULA
4 respostas
Ordenar por: Data
Thomas 7 62 296
To go cold-turkey is usually used to mean "to stop an activity (such as taking an addictive drug, smoking, etc.) suddenly and completely".

In jest, it is often used for less addictive things such as talking on a cell phone, drinking coffee, buying shoes, etc.

Cold turkey does involve a slow, controlled withdrawl. If you smoke 20 cigarettes per day and you go cold turkey. you stop smoking cigarettes. Period. You don't smoke 15 on Monday, 10 on Wednesday, and 5 on Friday. You stop completely.
Donay Mendonça 23 127 1.7k
Complemento:

Break/kick a habit (=stop doing something which is bad for you). - Longman
I always thought the cold turkey was the kick-back after one's left an addiction, something like a 'crise de abstinência'. I always think of Lennon's song "Temperature is risin' / Fever is high / Can't see no future / Can't see no sky (...) Cold Turkey has got me on the run"

can you work this into your explanation, Thomas?
Thomas 7 62 296
As we keep saying, songs are not a good place to learn a second language. I have no idea why the composer would use "cold turkey" in such a context.