Como dizer "abater o valor do que devo" em inglês

Hello guys!

Gostaria de saber como traduzo o seguinte: "Não precisa me pagar este valor. Abate dos 200 reais que te devo."?

Thanks.

TESTE DE NÍVEL
Faça um teste de inglês e descubra seu nível em 10 minutos! Este teste foi desenvolvido por professores experientes. O resultado sai na hora e com gabarito. INICIAR TESTE
8 respostas
Ordenar por: Data
  Resposta mais votada
9 65 608
Daniel Reis perguntou:
É possível usar '' There's no need to pay me this amount, you can discount it FROM the 200 reais I owe you'' ?
Sim, é possível.

Em "day-to-day English" é mais comum você ouvir:

You can take it off the 200 *reais I owe you.
You can take it from the 200 reais I owe you.

*Just an observation, many native English speakers say "reals" instead of "reais".
ENTENDENDO AS HORAS EM INGLÊS
Nesta aula, a professora Camila Oliveira ensina vários macetes para você nunca mais se confundir na hora de dizer as horas em inglês. ACESSAR AULA
11 224
There's no need for you to pay me this amount. You can discount it on 200 reais that I owe you.

Não posso afirmar que a preposição que eu usei depois do verbo "discount" está certa. Esperemos, então, por outras opiniões.
There's no need to pay that amount. You can apply it to the $200 I owe you.
23 127 1.7k
Complemento:

There's no need to pay me this amount. You can deduct it from the $ 200 I owe you.

''Speaking of which…you want to get something to eat? My treat. I'll deduct it from the seventy thousand dollars I owe you.'' [Google - Almost There And Back Again - Chapter 31]
2 16
Olá pessoal,

É possível usar '' There's no need to pay me this amount, you can discount it FROM the 200 reais I owe you'' ?

Valeus
TESTE DE NÍVEL
Faça um teste de inglês e descubra seu nível em 10 minutos! Este teste foi desenvolvido por professores experientes. O resultado sai na hora e com gabarito. INICIAR TESTE
6 49 1.3k
This one is not the most natural way to say that, I am afraid. Looks like Portuguese in English to me.
2 16
Olá,

Mas a frase é praticamente a mesma igual a do Simon Vasconcelos o que mudei foi a preposição de ON para FROM qual seria a mais indicada?

Valeus
6 49 1.3k
The catch isn´t on the preposition. In fact I wouldn´t use the "discount" word, in English whenever I saw it, it had a ring (a sense) of "paying less than you owe".
If negotiatint your debt with your credit agency, bank, financial institution etc, certainly you need a discount (say 10%, 15%, of the ammount you owe). There´s the cases of sale discounts in shops, on products etc.
https://blog.kissmetrics.com/downside-of-discounts/

So, I would stick to deduct it from...(a bit more formal I think) or "apply it to" (the amount you owe someone else...) [a bit more informal, to my thinking.)

Back then, I spent a lot of time on the phone with my lender. I’d pay a huge chunk of my loan, and instead of applying it to the principal, they’d apply it to future interest — and the interest amount was predetermined to be for a 20-year period.

http://www.getrichslowly.org/blog/2013/ ... in-a-year/

Taking it to an even more informal/colloquial way, you can use the "take it off" that was suggested by Telma. ;)
Thanks guys for sharing your views.