Como dizer "Beber água no almoço" em inglês

anita 14
Hey, you! I know that there are some topics regarding prepositions and meals, but none of them fit my doubt. I also know that when you say what you eat, you say "have salad for dinner", but what about the drinks? For example, "Ela bebe agua no jantar". If I say "she drinks water for dinner", it sounds to me that her whole dinner consists on some water :shock: So, please, help me! Many thanks in advance!

AMPLIANDO O VOCABULÁRIO
Isa Mara Lando é uma referência entre os profissionais de tradução. Ela já traduziu mais de 100 livros, entre eles estão obras de autores aclamados, como: George Orwell, Salman Rushdie e Walter Isaacson (a biografia de Einstein). Nesta aula gratuita, Isa dá várias dicas de vocabulário. ACESSAR AULA
7 respostas
Ordenar por: Data
Donay Mendonça 23 127 1.7k
Anita,

Eu sugiro "while having"

Drink water while having lunch, dinner.
Drink water while having meals.

Do not drink water while having meals.(waystoloseweightfast.co.uk)

Boa sorte!
anita 14
That sounds much wiser to me, Donay! Thank u!
Marcio_Farias 1 24 214
How about "She often/always washes down her dinner"?

The washing down implies following up one's dinner/lunch with water or another liquid. Some individuals may prefer not to drink water at all. Or prefer to drink it an hour later after dinner/lunch.
Marcio_Farias 1 24 214
Quite frankly, a quick net search did not unearth any of the sentence examples I gave, not one using any of the modifiers "always" or "often."
Henry Cunha 3 18 190
We normally say any of the following:

She drinks (has) only water AT dinner.(or)
She drinks (has) only water WITH dinner / breakfast / supper / lunch.
She drinks (has) only water WITH her meals.
She has only water at mealtime.

Regards
AMPLIANDO O VOCABULÁRIO
Isa Mara Lando é uma referência entre os profissionais de tradução. Ela já traduziu mais de 100 livros, entre eles estão obras de autores aclamados, como: George Orwell, Salman Rushdie e Walter Isaacson (a biografia de Einstein). Nesta aula gratuita, Isa dá várias dicas de vocabulário. ACESSAR AULA
She drinks water for dinner está correto.

Não entendi o q está estranho ou errado pra vc.
A expressão é "for" e o nome da refeição, não importa se é algo de comer ou de beber.

O uso do "AT" antes das refeições se dá na seguinte hipótese: para falar de alguém q está fazendo aquela refeição.
Ex.: I’m sorry, the person you want to talk is at lunch.

Exemplo do uso do "for":

I eat meat and rice and I drink Coke for lunch.

Espero ter ajudado.
Thomas 7 62 296
Anita, I agree. If "you drink water for lunch", I am hearing that your entire lunch consists of water, no solids.

If "you have water and a hamburger for lunch", then I am hearing that for lunch you eat a hamburger and drink water.