Como dizer "cama, comida e roupa lavada" em inglês

felipeh6 7 58
Please,

Como dizer "cama, comida e roupa lavada" (ditado popular) em Inglês?

Thanks in advance!

APRESENTAÇÃO PESSOAL EM INGLÊS
Nesta aula, a professora Camila Oliveira ensina como você deve se preparar para fazer uma apresentação pessoal profissional em inglês. O conteúdo dessa aula ajudará você a aproveitar melhor as oportunidades no ambiente corporativo. ACESSAR AULA
12 respostas
Ordenar por: Data
Thomas 7 62 297
Room, board, and laundry service

This is not a popular saying in English, but it is how I would expect to find such services adverstised in a newspaper ad.
felipeh6 7 58
Thomas escreveu:Room, board, and laundry service

This is not a popular saying in English, but it is how I would expect to find such services adverstised in a newspaper ad.
OK, thanks Thomas!
Oh girl, get married with me and you'll have room, board and laundry service.
Thomas 7 62 297
to board = to rent a room with meals included

to rent = to rent a room or house without meals included (Rent is usually from month to month, and you are free to leave at any time. Rent can be increased with very little prior notice from the owner.)

to lease = to rent an apartment, house. or property with a contract that guarantees that during the lfie of the lease (a) the amount paid will not be increased and (b) the person who takes termporary possession will make payments as agreed, often for a year.

to sublease = It is common for the person who takes termporary possession to lease (sublease) to another person, but he is still responsible for making payments to the owner.

a boarding house = a business where rooms with meals are rented (the rooms are often in a large private home)

a boarding house reach = a reach for food that is far from your seat at the table (considered bad table manners)
(Forgive my boarding house reach. I should have asked you to pass the bread, but you were busy pouyring coffee.)
Telma Regina 9 65 608
"Food, clothing and shelter".
The deepest need of men is not food and clothing and shelter, important as they are. It is God. - Thomas R Kelly.
POWER QUESTIONS
O professor das celebridades Daniel Bonatti ensina várias técnicas para você ter conversas melhores mesmo com conhecimentos básicos de inglês. Com as power questions você vai aprender a direcionar a conversa para onde quiser e com isso alcançar seus objetivos na comunicação. ACESSAR AULA
Flavia.lm 1 10 100
Expressão já discutida em: Como dizer "casa, comida, roupa lavada e $ 5.000" em inglês

p.s.: Eu diria que o autor do outro tópico terá mais chances que o criador deste, rs

ah, e eu também conheço como "casa, comida e roupa lavada"
Telma Regina 9 65 608
Alright then,

"Bed, food and clean clothing".
felipeh6 7 58
Telma Regina escreveu:Alright then,

"Bed, food and clean clothing".
Hi Telma,

Does it really exist in English or did you make a 'word for word' translation?

Regards!
Thomas 7 62 297
"Clean clothing" doesn't work, Flavia, because it is too general. Is someone going to lend you their husband's clean clothing? Where is the clean clothing coming from? "Laundry service", on the other hand, implies that things will be washed (clothing and linen).
Telma Regina 9 65 608
Felipe

Yes, I did a 'word for word' translation. This saying exists in English as "food, clothing and shelter" and it is a very old saying. It is a traditional list of 'basic needs'. The intention of the saying is to be general and so the word 'clothing' works in this context.

On the other side, one could wash their clothes (or wash their laundry) at home and it would not be called a Laundry Service.
POWER QUESTIONS
O professor das celebridades Daniel Bonatti ensina várias técnicas para você ter conversas melhores mesmo com conhecimentos básicos de inglês. Com as power questions você vai aprender a direcionar a conversa para onde quiser e com isso alcançar seus objetivos na comunicação. ACESSAR AULA
Segundo o The Universal Series - Dicionário Português-Inglês de locuções e expressões idiomáticas, "Casa, Comida e Roupa Lavada" é "Room and Board".
Flavia.lm 1 10 100
Pessoal,

Eu acho que nenhuma das opções sugeridas traduzem o real significado de expressão em português.

"Food, clothing and shelter" = necessidades básicas de uma pessoa

"Room and board" - acomodação e alimentação (board é onde se serve o alimento), me parece poder ser oferecido por qualquer pessoa, ou hotéis, etc.

"Casa, comida e roupa lavada" é aquilo que se oferece à um(a) pretendente, normalmente em tom de "paquera" - pelo menos é o que vejo, e prova disso é uma música que acabei de encontrar, do Rio Negro e Solimões:

"Casa comigo que eu te dou
Casa, comida, e roupa lavada
Eu paro de beber, de fumar
E prometo não chegar de madrugada"

Como um bom galanteador, nativo de língua inglesa, faria a proposta acima à uma garota?