Como dizer "Cheque-caução" em inglês

Simon Vasconcelos 11 221
"Câmara aprova projeto que criminaliza exigência de cheque-caução em hospital privado."

AMPLIANDO O VOCABULÁRIO
Isa Mara Lando é uma referência entre os profissionais de tradução. Ela já traduziu mais de 100 livros, entre eles estão obras de autores aclamados, como: George Orwell, Salman Rushdie e Walter Isaacson (a biografia de Einstein). Nesta aula gratuita, Isa dá várias dicas de vocabulário. ACESSAR AULA
4 respostas
Ordenar por: Data
Telma Regina 9 65 608
Eu realmente não sei se existe algo como um "cheque-caução" mas pode-se dizer "out-of-pocket" payment para pagamentos extras em hospital de acordo com este formulário do "Oschner Medical Center" in Jefferson, USA.
"We want to make sure we meet your insurance company’s billing requirements and, when needed, get their authorization for our services. Your insurance company will tell us what your “out-of-pocket” payment will be according to your policy. Your payment may include co-payments, deductibles, coinsurance, non-covered services or other insurance limitations.
Please call the 1-800 number on the reverse side of your insurance card if you have additional questions about your coverage".
Thomas 7 62 296
As I understand "cheque-caução", it is a check that guarantees the vendor (a private hospital in Simon's example) will be paid in the event the insurance policy does not cover an expense. The uncovered expense is "an out-of-pocket expense" for the patient, of course. But what does a hospital call the check? "An advance"? In many fields (the rental of a house, the rental of electrival equipment, the rental of a car, etc.), the check would be called "a security deposit". But for a hospital? I don't think "pledge" or "guarantee" is correct. So, what is?

I treated in a clinic in Oregon in July 2011. I did not pay anything "up front" (in advance). There was nothing like a "cheque-caução". I was treated with the understanding that I was responsible for the cost. If my insurance paid, fine. If my insurance did not pay, then I would have to pay out of my own pocket.

Does the "cheque-caução" exist in the UK or the USA in medical facilities? Perhaps it doesn't. If it doesn't, then there may not be a word for it and it must be explained.
Safety deposit
PPAULO 6 49 1.3k
As I understand "cheque-caução", it is a check that guarantees the vendor (a private hospital in Simon's example) will be paid in the event the insurance policy does not cover an expense. The uncovered expense is "an out-of-pocket expense" for the patient, of course. But what does a hospital call the check? "An advance"? In many fields (the rental of a house, the rental of electrical equipment, the rental of a car, etc.), the check would be called "a security deposit".
Thomas hit the nail in the head, a great explanation.
I didn't know about the use in hospitals in general, but I read in a veterinary clinic/hospital site that when necessary monitoring pets (usually dogs) with a Holter monitor, a security deposit is charged at the time of starting the monitoring.
In the US (from what I read) if the dog owner let the dog swim, or if she damages it somehow additional charges are paid, but then I suppose it would be after the damage to the equipment (if any) and either added to the pet medical insurance (or aid insurance) or would be paid out of pocket.
The said "security deposit" would be a preemptive way to assure the Holter/equipment owner that they won't be left holding the bag, without replacing it.

I learned also, that some hospitals and clinics (not veterinary) calculate the cost of care at the entrance of a patient, and the payment is made at admission. If there is any problem with the approval of the transaction (1) to pay for the care, a 'security deposit' would be retained.
In practice, the whole care cost would be paid 'out of pocket', then somehow the patient would seek a refund of his expenses afterward with their health insurance operator.

A problem with password or some kind of uncovered services, for instance.